We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

Mataro, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

Hello travelers! I just wanted to know if the plan I made is sensible or not. It is my frist time doing a thing like that so at the same time I am quite scared for the risks. I do not know really if there will be enough cars during April-May. Could I just show you my plan and give some opinion about it? Thank you very much.

Tuesday. 15-APR: Airplane.

// NIGHT: Couchsurfer 1.

Wednesday. 16-APR: Tourism, knowing my host.

Thursday. 17-APR: Reykjavík toursim (Geysir, Gullfoss, Thingvellir, Friðheimar TOUR, 57€).

Friday. 18-APR: Hitch-hike to Skógar (approx. 2h) and tourism (Skógarfoss)

// NIGHT: Skógar hostel.

Saturday. 19-APR: Hitch-hike to Vík (30min), visit beaches.

// NIGHT: Hostel Vík.

Sunday. 20-APR: Hitch-hike to Vagnsstaðir (approx. 2h 30min)

// NIGHT: Vagnsstaðir hostel.

Monday. 21-APR: Visit Jokulsarlon (glaciers), Hitch-hike to Seydisfjodur (approx. 4h)

// NIGHT: Couchsurfer 2, in Seydisfjodur.

Tuesday. 22-APR: Exploring Seydisfjodur, knowing Couchsurfer 2.

// NIGHT: Couchsurfer 2.

Wednesday. 23-APR: Hitch-hike to Akureyri (3h 30min)

// NIGHT: Couchsurfer 3, in Akureyri

Thurday. 24-APR: Hitch-hike to Berg. (approx. 2h 30min) NIGHT: Hostel in Berg

Friday. 25-APR: Tourism in Berg (Húsavík, Goðafoss, Mývatn Lake)

// NIGHT: Hostel in Berg.

Saturday. 26-APR: Hitch-hike to Ósar, explore Ósar (rock formations), walk to Sæberg.

// NIGHT: Hostel in Sæberg.

Sunday. 27-APR:: Hitch-hike to Reykjavík (approx. 1h 15min)

// NIGHT: Other Couchsurfing host in Reykjavík.

Monday.28-APR: Knowing my host better. NIGHT: idem

Tueday.29-APR: Reykjavík suburbs tourism (Reykjanes, Garðskagi Lighthouse).

// NIGHT: idem

Wednesday.30-APR: Blue Lagoon (35E).

// NIGHT: idem

Thurday. 01-MAY: Air plane to the UK.

That's pretty all. I was very worried about the food. But all the hostels let you cook your stuff I think, they offer kitchen to the travelers. My first idea was going with a tent and gas cooker, but that's too risky because of my lack of experience.

Is it very tricky? What other expenses do you think I can have?

Thank you very much in advance.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,838 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

Iceland is not exactly a "hitch hiker heaven", and in April you can still get very cold days and severe weather, it´s practically beginning of spring.

But if you are prepared for all kinds of weather, subzero temperatures, strong winds, sleet, rain and maybe all of that in the same day, then I guess it´s alright.

But I do not think any locals will recommend this.

2. Re: Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 14:45
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

I can't remember seeing any hitch hikers when I have travelled in Iceland. And as a tourist on holiday I wouldn't pick one up. In UK many commercial trucking companies forbid their employees picking up hitch hikers, don't know if that's the same in Iceland.

The further you get away from Reykjavik the fewer cars there are. Look at this web site and it shows the number of cars that uses the roads. It looks like 45 cars have used the road north of Höfn since midnight. May be a few more in April. It could be a long wait!

vegagerdin.is/english/…

Be prepared for wet, cold weather.

IMHO it doesn't sound too good a plan but perhaps someone more local can comment. Do locals pick up hitch hikers? Good luck.

Norway
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

Some years ago I spoke to someone who did this during one month in the summer, and from what I understood he was not really sure if he would recommend it to anyone. Mostly it was very slow progress and a lot of waiting, and he spent too much of his time waiting for transportation and he also felt he missed some locations because they were difficult to get to by hitchhiking.

I am sure that it if you have a lot of time and are prepared to accept that things may not always progress as planned, then it could be done.

In April you may get very wintery conditions if you are unlucky, so waiting by the side of the road may become very unpleasant, even impossible sometimes.

I have not seen very many hitchhikers during my travels in Iceland, at least not in the recent years.

Mataro, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

Thanks for your points of view and for being so direct, that helps.

But as I read in other places you get round 16 hours of sunlight during this period of time, am I right? Is it still that hell? Considering 50 cars a day that would mean round 2 cars maybe 3 per hour. I could understand the case for truckers, but what about other people?

As I am realizing then it sounds very very risky...

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

We travelled north of Hofn in July and in one hour 8 cars passed going in the opposite direction! We commented on this as the roads are so quiet. Could be less in April.

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
13 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

Each time I have visited Iceland, apart from the towns there are hardly any cars - or much civilization for that matter. At one point we were driving east from Selfoss and did not cross another vehicle for nearly two hours - and one petrol station. Its a different kind of outback. If you are to go ahead with your plan it might be worth actually taking a tent, just incase. Adventure isnt predictable!!

8. Re: Hitch-hiking Route 1. 17 days. Is this plan a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:21