We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental CDW

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Car Rental CDW

Hi All,

I have read quite a bit about renting cars in Iceland and the types of insurance offered. I was concerned with the high prices of insurance and would prefer to rely on my the coverage offered by my Visa card but, as many know, the Visa protection requires you to decline any insurances offered by the rental company.

After reading quite a bit, it seemed many (most) people have stated that declining the CDW is not an option in Iceland. Because of this, I decided to call Hertz to verify and they informed me that it WAS possible to decline the CDW.

I know another tripadvisor poster indicated that Hertz only allowed one to decline the CDW if they agreed to a limited kilometer/day rental, but the representative I spoke with assured me that I can both decline the CDW, as well as enjoy unlimited kilometers/day for no additional charge.

Does any one else have any experience with this? I know there have been previous posts on the issue, but those seem to be older and I'm not sure if things have changed...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental CDW

Driving conditions and weather are very different to other parts of the world and this needs to be recognised. IMHO Iceland is not a place to scrimp on insurance. Most complaints are from people who have not understood the risks or excesses.

Recently a poster wrote and excellent reply relating to car insurance specifically for N American travellers. I can't find it but does anyone else remember? Maybe you could search through the last few weeks.

2. Re: Car Rental CDW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 01:50
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
987 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental CDW

The issue I have heard about and I am trying to get info on is that in some instances some car hire companies put a block on your credit card for the excess if you decline CDW.. This can be thousands of dollars or euros or kroners as the case may be and be very problematic for many renters. This does not happen when renting a car in N America from , for example, Hertz or Budget. If anyone has recent info on this aspect of declining CDW using a North American Gold Visa card it would be appreciated

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental CDW

Get all the insurance you can. If your rental company does not offer sand, gravel, ash coverage, use a different company. Be aware of the excess that you will have even if you get all the coverage possible from the rental company as it can be a considerable amount. We got additional coverage for the excess in addition to all the insurance offered.

5. Re: Car Rental CDW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18