We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

kitchener,ontario
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

Hi

Going to be in Iceland mid April. We are going to be doing a Self Drive tour of the South-Saga Sites. At the end of our tour we would love to go see Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon. I know that the boats rides are not open but can you go and see the lagoon and walk around?

Thanks Kim

Wejherowo, Poland
Level Contributor
91 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

There is a parking just few steps from the shore of lagoon - check one of internet maps - it's just behind the bridge. There are also few parking places before the bridge, where you can see lagoon from the other side of river, after climbing few steps. Remember to go to the ocean beach on the other side of the road - you can touch icebergs there.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 22:19
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

You might be ok for a boat trip by mid-april depending on the weather. If boats are running it might be the amphibious boat and not the zodiacs but that is still good fun and gets quite close to the icebergs. But otherwise you can still visit the lagoon area and the cafe will also be open.

www.jokulsarlon.is

kitchener,ontario
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would there be an excursion for Rej or would we need to rent a car and do it our self?

Kim

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

Kimmer www.tour.is do one from April 1 - Oct 31 Code for tour TT17. From the web page the cost Euro 150. It does include a boat tour on the Lagoon. It would likely be with Iceland Excurions. I think they are the ones used for the Bus Tours. That could have changed though. You could choose to look. It is a stunning place, and I don't think it should be missed. IMHO better than Alaska. They would be able to suggest other options, like car hire, and if one hires from a Tour Agent company they would deal with any issues that sometimes car hire presents. If you hire a car yourself and self drive, any problems with the car, you will deal with. But with self drive, 'you get to stay as long as your like' and that is also a bonus in this place. Good luck

Edited: 01 February 2014, 03:09
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

This is the excursion with Iceland Excursions:-

http://www.grayline.is/tour/day_tours/AH35_south_coast_(AND)_j(00)kuls(a)rl(0)n_glacial_lagoon/Iceland.is

I am visiting Iceland in April and interested in this tour. I contacted them by e-mail last week and they confirmed the tour operates four times a week in April: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. In addition to the info on the website they stop at the following places:-

Hvolfsvöllur for approximately 15 min

Skógarfoss for approximately 20 min

Freysnesi for lunch for approximately 45 min

Glacier Lagoon for approximately 90 min

Skaftafell for approximately 20 min

Vík for approximately 45 min

Seljandafoss for approximately 20 min

When the boat tour is not operational in April they offer a meal in Vík instead.

Hope this helps.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

I did my trip in November with Bustravel www.bustravel.is who are very good value compared to some operators. I think they all offer pretty much the same itinery but what works for me with Bustravel (I've used them during two separate visits now) is that they use mini bus vans for the tours, so you're with a small group of about 12-15 others rather than being in a big group. Bustravel haven't opened the booking yet, but they have told me they do run from April unless the weather is too bad (I'm hoping to squeeze the trip in again early April so fingers crossed the weather is co-operative!).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

I did a very quick comparison. Looks like this, but I would want to verify - apples for apples. they do look very much the same. around 14 hours each.

Through Tour.is quoted 150,00 Euro converts ISK23,211.84 at todays conversion

Through Bus travel, ISK26,200

Through Greyline Iceland excursions 24,900

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

Hi Aussiegrannie, I agree anyone considering needs to do their own checking but the Bustravel price youve looked at is special offer package (I did that last time) that also includes a full day Golden Circle, Blue Lagoon trip and airport transfers! The Glacier Lagoon can be booked as a single trip, just had a look at website and last years price was 15900 Isk. Bustravel didnt include the boat trip and not everyone on our tour wanted to do the boat trip so that was probably fair enough. The amphibious boat is advertised at 4000 isk but we got a group rate of about 3500isk on the day - absolute bargain for the experience!

9. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 11:13
Edited: 01 February 2014, 11:13
kitchener,ontario
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jökulsárlón-Glacier lagoon

Hi

wow, thanks for all the information.

Because we are doing the 5 day self drive Saga sites, we would already of see the waterfalls along the way there. At the end of our self drive, we wanted to just go for a day to the glacier. I was trying to find transportation just to the glacer.

Thanks Kim