We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

England
Level Contributor
516 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

I know I should have asked a few days ago......but here goes. We are heading to Keflavik tomorrow from Grundarfjörður and have about 6 hours to do it in, so I was considering a detour up the route 47 and try the walk to see the Glymur waterfall. I've heard it can take about 3 hours round trip but the track can be treacherous in winter.....does anybody know of it's present state and is this timing correct?

Also I've read there is a old whaling station on the North side of Hvalfjordur.......is it possible to wander around this site or is it closed to the public?

Many thanks for any quick responses

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,767 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

Forget about Glymur, if you're heading for Keflavik (sounds like you're catching a plane...)

Last time I was there it was locked.

:)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

Have you looked around Reykjanes peninsula? Quite a lot to see there & close to Keflavik...

England
Level Contributor
516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

Thanks Diane, catching a plane yes - but not until the day after. Hence looking at a side trip on the way down which we have not done before.

Gate locked!.......I thought it was just another waterfall open all the time......oh well, perhaps next time ;-) and thanks for the quick reply.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
422 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

Grundarfjordur to Keflavik is about a three-hour drive. You won't have time to hike to Glymur, as it is at least a three-hour round-trip hike during the summer and I imagine right now you would need crampons, a guide, and a GPS to do the same hike, and it would take quite a bit longer! If I were you, I would just enjoy the scenery and leave the hike for another (warmer, less rushed) time.

England
Level Contributor
516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

Hi addlepate, yes we've toured around the Reykjanes peninsular a few times and your right there is a lot to see there. We just fancied a detour and it's one fall I've yet to see. Thanks for the reply.

England
Level Contributor
516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

Blimey these replies are coming quicker than I can type, thanks all.

Cris P.......your right, I'll leave it for the next visit.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,767 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

Hahaha .))) I meant the whaling station... Quote: " old whaling station on the North side of Hvalfjordur.......is it possible to wander around this site or is it closed to the public?"

I guess I should have mentioned that .)

England
Level Contributor
516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

Diane......Oops.....now I understand. It's been a long day and the 'old grey matter' didn't comprehend LOL

9. Re: Anyone online who could answer these late questions?......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 06:16