We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KEF Airport questions please

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
KEF Airport questions please

Hello. We will be arriving early flight at 6 am.

I think the Fly Bus to BL does not start til 9 or 10am?

Are there restaurant or cafes open in the airport at 6?

Our departing flight to Glasgow leaves at 730 am. How early do you recommend arriving at airport. Is security always crowded?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: KEF Airport questions please

Have a look at the schedule again:

https://www.re.is/flybus/

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KEF Airport questions please

My mistake. It's BL that doesn't open til 9 so still need to hang a bit at the airport.

Any reccomndations for how early to arrive at KEF for departure?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,204 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KEF Airport questions please

2 - 3 hours prior to your flight.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KEF Airport questions please

Thank you Diane. Wasn't sure if its a big or small airport. Sometimes smaller airports with flight within Europe you don't have to arrive so early as intl. and security lines are not so bad.

Looks like its an early early morning for us. I booked at airport hotel Smari for the night before. hope can give us a snack before we go :-)

Edited: 11 March 2014, 20:49
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,204 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KEF Airport questions please

Wow, that's perfect. You can check in for your flight and go back to bed for a good while :) Then one hour before your flight, go to passport control and head for the gate.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KEF Airport questions please

Sounds like a plan :-). At very least we can go back to Smari for a proper breakfast. I typically dislike staying at an airport hotel (rather be in the city) but this time it seems smart.

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: KEF Airport questions please

We are planning on staying at the same hotel and going to BL before heading back to US. How was your experience?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KEF Airport questions please

I think 3 hrs prior might be a good deal longer than needed, depending on what you want to do.

The big delays on your trip are check-in, security, and passport control.

There are perhaps 20-25 kiosk station in the check-in area for Icelandair. You can do your own check-in, print your boarding pass, and print your luggage check strip at a Kiosk and not wait in line at all. You just attach the luggage check strip to your bag, take it to the drop off point where they will check your passport, boarding pass, and take your bag. Very fast...no waiting. Then you walk about 2 minutes to the security checkpoint upstairs on the departure level.

kefairport.is/English/…default.aspx

Security is fast and efficient, and the longest wait time is 15 min to get thru the entire process at peak departure times.

Allow some time if you want to go to the bank to change any ISK back to another currency, get your tax-free purchase refund, or shop in duty free or the stores in the departure hall area. Perhaps stop for a bite to eat or drink at Atlantic Bistro or Cafe Europe.

As you are going to the UK, you will also have to go thru passport control to clear out of Schengen, but as this is only for flights to the UK (and Russia) it is fairly quick. Most visitors to Iceland traveling to Europe are going to a Schengen country, and do not go thru passport control when leaving Iceland.

I recommend you not leave the large departure hall area until the monitors say "Go to Gate" for your flight. There is very little seating in the gate area, and nothing else to do, so you really do not want to get to the gate too early.

You do not want to be late, or feel rushed in getting to your flight, but 2 hours should be plenty of time, especially if you check-in via the kiosk.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KEF Airport questions please

drr49,

I'm Portuguese (therefore Schengen country), but will be going to Iceland via London. I have never been in need of a passport to get to the UK, only my ID. Do you think this will be a problem to get to and from Iceland via the UK? Would I need a passport? Or does this problem apply to non-EU/non-Schengen countries?

I'm leaving in two weeks, so if I do need a passport I'm in trouble, as it either takes ages or costs big bucks to get a new one in time! :)

Edited: 05 May 2014, 21:05
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KEF Airport questions please

I think you always need a passport when entering Iceland, even Shengen. Or at least serious ID of some sort.

If in doubt, read this, and if still in doubt, ask them directly:

iceland.is/iceland-abroad/…