We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing alcohol back from Iceland

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bringing alcohol back from Iceland

Hello Everyone! I'll be in Iceland next week and as one normally does when they go on vacation I wanted to bring my buddies back some of the local spirits. I just had a couple questions hoping that someone has experience bringing alcohol from iceland back to the U.S.

1) Is the duty free shop in kevlavik the best option for buying?

2) would I be better off buying the alcohol and bringing it in my checked luggage or buying then paying for postage and shipment to the U.S.?

3) I already know about brennivin but what other local spirits or brand would anyone recommend? I know there's reyka vodka, but any good local whiskey?

any and all info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing alcohol back from Iceland

Hiya,

1) yes

2) the first

3) Here's a list of locally made alcoholic beverages (minus the beer) available at the state run store (albeit in Icelandic) www.vinbudin.is/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-64…

Regarding the whiskey, none so far but it's in the making. They're saying, somewhat vaguely, that it will be available by the bottle "around 2014". For now, you can only get a mini barrel of some sort. Have a look here: http://www.flokiwhisky.is/

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing alcohol back from Iceland

Very good prices at the airport. I brought back a pint bottle of Brennivin (still have not tried it yet) and I am regretting not getting a bottle of Opal. Both are available in plastic bottles at the duty free. I asked a number of locals about Brennivin and they all said that it is pretty bad. Quentin Tarantino thought that Opal was horrible, but as I think his movies are horrible, so he obviously has no taste at all.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing alcohol back from Iceland

^^ funny! So the plastic bottles - are they the full 700ml or so size, or just the little ones?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing alcohol back from Iceland

Thanks for the info Taratara!

5. Re: Bringing alcohol back from Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:16