We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

If you fly Icelandair, they started a new program a few weeks ago called

CLASS UP; 10 days prior to your flight, you will be sent an e-mail which will offer the opportunity to bid for an upgrade.

Lets say you have a coach seat; you could get an e-mail letting you place a bid for an Economy Comfort or Saga class seat. All you would pay is what you bid, if accepted, for the better seat.

Not all flights have this offer, and they may not accept your bid, but I find it an interesting concept.

Icelandair is looking to sell those seats in EC and Saga at the last minute, if they like your offer.

There is additional information about CLASS UP in the FAQ on Icelandair.com. Look in the section labeled "On Board", then go down that section about 3/4 of the way, and you can see the questions answered about CLASS UP.

icelandair.us/information/…

Perhaps a chance to get a much better seat for a much lower price.....

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

In the FAQ, I found this particularly interesting:

Is it possible to place a CLASS UP bid at the airport upon checking in?

No, the passenger must place a bid at least 72 hours before departure. However, it is possible to purchase a conventional upgrade at the airport.

In all my years flying Icelandair, I have never known them to sell an upgrade at the airport. It would appear that has changed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

I will be interested to see if we get the email offering us the chance to bid. We travel next month and I cannot wait!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
264 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

Thanks for this information, I fly the friday after next, will look out for this in email :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
304 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

I fly in about a month, so I will be looking out for this email! I wonder how much one would need to bid to upgrade from Economy to Saga class.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

That's an interesting new upgrade model.

I'd give it shot if I get the opportunity.

Good luck bidders!

Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

If anyone wins a bid, please post and tell us about it. I'll be flying Icelandair in July and would love to upgrade if possible.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

While this system of bidding for upgrades is new for Icelandair, apparently it has been around the industry for some time. Just Google plusgrade.com and you can get an idea of the different carriers that are trying this bid system as a way to increase revenue.

This is about American Airlines use of this program

thepointsguy.com/2013/…

If you are going to bid, definitely do read the terms and conditions, particularly in light of the Icelandair pilot strikes possible later this month:

icelandreview.com/news/2014/05/02/icelandair…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
264 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

As per KEF airport:

kefairport.is/English/…default.aspx

The planned strike at Icelandic Airports tomorrow has been postponed until 22nd. of May. All flights will commence as planned. Information regarding arrivals and departures on Icelandi airports can be found on www.kefairport.is and www.isavia.is.

Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

Did anyone receive the email offering the upgrade, and if so, did you win the bid?

Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrading on Icelandair....now you can bid for a better seat

FYI for those interested in the CLASS UP upgrade:

We fly in about a week and all three of us received emails inviting us to bid for upgrades. One of the gals traveling with me is having severe issues with her back, so we were interested in getting into Saga class so her seat would fully recline. The minimum bid for a Saga class upgrade on our flight was $375/segment and only one of our segments was eligible for a Economy Comfort upgrade. The starting bid for Economy Comfort was $225.

If we had bid and won at the lowest possible bid for the Saga upgrades, it would have been another $1600. I'm fairly certain it would have been cheaper to buy Saga in the first place.

Oh well, so much for cheap upgrades.