We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

We really want to hike from the waterfalls in Skogar to Thorsmork in one day...we are 61 and in great shape but I am slow. Can this be done do you think? If we get to THorsmork I am having trouble figuring out the bus back. Is it a dangerous trail by the volcano area? At what point can we turn back if it is too much for me, not my husband? Can we reach the volcano at least and then turn back? We are going July 17th...for info about bus

Thanks

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

Don’t recommend that route as a hike. It’s over 35 km along a rough road. I would rather recommend taking a bus into Thorsmork and then utilizing the numerous well marked hiking paths there. Then take a bus back later in the day.

Norway
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

Some recent threads that may contain relevant information:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189952-i223-k7391…

tripadvisor.com/…56946

tripadvisor.com/…42626157

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189952-i223-k6476…

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

Thank you so much for all the excellent threads. My one question left is how long is the hike from skogar waterfalls to volcano that erupted in 2012 and then turn around?

Thanks

Edited: 24 May 2014, 16:30
Norway
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

I think the volcano eruption site is approximately in the middle between Skogar and Thorsmork, so that would mean roughly 10 hours for both ways.

The eruption was 2010, not 2012.

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

Thank you so much for all the excellent threads. My one question left is how long is the hike from skogar waterfalls to volcano that erupted in 2012 and then turn around?

Thanks

Edited: 24 May 2014, 19:38
Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

Thank you so much for all the excellent advise. 2010. Oh my time flies!! That is right.

So my question to you now is if it is 5 hours to volcano and 5 hours back. Would it make sense just to continue all the way to thorsmark which would then be the same 10 hours? Then take the bus back. I am under the impression in mid July there is a bus back to Skogar. Do you know the last bus back?

Thanks so much for your wonderful help

Norway
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

There could be two possible reasons to turn back to Skogar instead of continuing to Thorsmork:

One is that the trail from Fimmvörðuháls to Thorsmork is slightly more difficult for people that have problems with heights. There are some sections where you walk on a narrow ridge and there are one or two places where you have to pass sections where there are ropes to hold on to for safety. Not a problem for most people, but for some it could be challenging.

The other reason may be if you can not get out of Thorsmork and back to Skogar the same day. This seems to not be an issue now, since there is a late bus from Thorsmork that is compatible with another bus from Seljalandsfoss to Skogar.

I would very much recommend to continue to Thorsmork if you can, since it is a unique and beautiful area that you really should experience.

To get back to Skogar with the bus from Thorsmork, this is how it works:

There is a bus that departs from Basar in Thorsmork at 20:00. This bus meets up at Seljalandsfoss with another bus that comes from Reykjavik and continues to Skogar and Vik. So you get out of the Thorsmork bus at Seljalandsfoss and get on the bus to Skogar. By the bus schedule it looks like you wil be back in Skogar by 22.10.

These are the bus schedules:

nat.is/travelguideeng/bus_stop_thorsmork_re.…

nat.is/travelguideeng/bus_stop_re_skogar.htm

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
622 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

The eruption was much closer to Thörsmörk than to Skógar. Here is an aerial picture of the eruption area, taken from Thórsmörk in the direction of Skógar:

icelandreview.com/icelandreview/upload/image…

The flat area in the bottom left is Morinsheidi, which is about 2 - 3 hours climbing from the Básar huts. Morinsheidi is connected to the eruption area by a small ridge named Heljarkambur, one of the few scary parts of the hike.

Norway
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

And of course erensm is right, and I was a bit quick. Upon checking closer I see that Fimmvörðuháls is indeed closer to Thorsmork than to Skogar, so that is maybe another reason to keep on going rather than turn around back to Skogar.

My estimate of 5 hours for Skogar to Fimmvörðuháls I think is correct still.

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking to Thorsmork by the F trail

Everyone's advise is sooo helpful..thanks so much. We would love to reach the site of the eruption and continue on ...but I am a bit scared of heights and need my footing to be secure. Do you think if we turn around before that we will miss a lot? If we hike just 5 hours in.and then turn around..where do you think we would end up and how many miles would that be and do you think we would see pretty scenery? If we start at 8:00 in the morning, is this early enough or should we start at 7 or 6 in the morning?

ONce again thanks so much for answering my questions.