We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

LA
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Topic
Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

Hello travelers!

I'm planning a trip to westfjord. I've been searching over the web a lot, but I only found a limited number of resources.

Things I know so far

1. 2 ~ 4 days are not enough to enjoy westfjord. It looks like people recommend at least 6 days.

2. I have to take a ferry

3. weather can be dynamic between June ~ August.

I have the following itinerary.

Day 1: Reykjavik

Day 2: Reykjavik to Stykkisholmur

Day 3: Stykkisholmur -> Ferry Baldur -> Latrabjarg

Day 4: Latrabjarg -> Isafjordur

Day 5: Isafjordur -> Strandir

Day 6: Strandir -> Reykjavik

My questions are

1. Do you think that my itinerary is good enough to enjoy westfjord? I don't have 20 days or a month, but I can spend a few more days if it's not enough. I'm asking this question because I've seen many people saying that even 6 days might not be enough.

2. If I go with my rental car, how do I take it with me when I take a ferry? Is it possible to go with my rental car? I'm sure it is..just confirming. Where do I make an appointment for a ferry?

Thank you for taking time to read my post!

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

I'm going to the West Fjords later this year and did a lot of research, finally approaching in the reverse direction from Myvatn. Due to time constraints I can only do 4 nights / 3 full days which I felt was the minimum.

Your itinerary only gives 2 full days in the West Fjords. Reykjavik to Stykkisholmur is 3 hrs drive which is really only using half a day, then overnight, and most of the next day on a ferry docking at 15.45, and over 3 hrs to Latrabjarg arriving 19.00.

You might consider driving directly to the north ferry terminal at around 5 hrs, or 8 hrs to Latrabjarg arriving again at 19.00, but this gains you a full day where you want to be- the fjords.

Website ferry price for a car and 2 adults is about $108.

http://www.seatours.is/FerryBaldur/Schedule/

Local Icelanders may give you better options.

LA
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

Thank you so much The_Travelling_Tyke. I think I need to research more...I initially planned to spend at least 3 full days in West Fjord areas.

I've heard that I don't need 4wd car if I don't plan to drive to the interior of westfjord. If I drive straight to the Látrabjarg, am I driving into any interior roads? I don't plan to rent 4wd car.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 03:37
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
954 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

There are 2 ferries each day at this time of the year, The first departs Stykkisholmer at 9:00am arriving the other side at noon allowing the whole afternooon and evening to explore the Latrabjarg area. I am taking this ferry on July 1st.

I plan to spend arrival afternoon and early evening in the Latrabjarg area and stay1 night in Patreksfjordur, the next day exploring between Patreksfjordur and Isafjordur, the 3rd day in the Isafjordur region and then on the 4th day driving eastward in the direction of the Strandir Coast. To incude a visit to the Strandir Coast I think you would need to add a minimum of one more overnight and then one long day's drive ( several hours on gravel) all the way back to Reykjavik.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

But, you are skipping the best part of the west fjords ! Strandir area, on the east side of the west fjords.

Go from Ísafjordur to Drangsnes www.malarhorn.is stay there for two nights and use at least one day to drive north to Norðurfjörður and back, you will not regret that.

So, add one day, and you´re fine.

LA
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

Thank you so much! I will research on your suggestions for sure!

LA
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

That was exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if my plan was right or not. Sounds like mine is not enough. My...concern is that..if I go that route, do I need 4wd or..not...?

I really don't feel like renting 4wd car by paying almost 3x times..

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

Why would you need a 4WD ? It´s a "normal" country road.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
954 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

Icelandicguide, I was suggesting a minimum itinerary for the OP based on the original post. Myself, I am driving from Isafjordur to Hotel Djupavik up the Strandir coast for a couple of days and then heading to the Troll peninsula with a first stop at Lonclot Bucolic Resort for 2 nights.

LA
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

Well, that's what I've hearing people or travel agents. Many people suggested 4wd. To be honest, I'm not sure why either. I'm still researching.

10. Re: Is this good itinerary for westfjord?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:17