We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in Iceland for photography

San Carlos de...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Winter in Iceland for photography

Hi,

I'm planning a one week visit to Iceland. I'm going for one purpose only-photography.

I was thinking anywhere between mid Feb to Mid March.

I want to get to the "usual" places where a lot of photographers are going:

Reykjavík (start/finish)

Seljalandsfoss

Skogafoss

Vik area

Fjaðrargljufur

Skaftafell

Jökulsarlon

Vatnjokull

Höfn

I'm going to rent a car. regular...compact.

My question is - can I reach all or most of these places without a problem (I'm not talking about major storms) with a regular compact car? are all/most of these places are reachable in winter?

Thank you in advance!

Maor

Norway
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in Iceland for photography

Under normal weather conditions you can go to all these locations in the winter.

Note that Vatnajökull is not a specific location. This is a huge glacier covering large parts of southeast Iceland and it is also the name of a huge National Park area. So for that one you need to be more specific about what location you are aksing about. Both Skaftafell and Jokulsarlon are within the Vatnajökull national park area.

San Carlos de...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in Iceland for photography

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes...I'm still study the locations and exact places but I wanted to know in general if I can reach these places in the winter with a regular non 4X4 car.

Thanks!

M

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in Iceland for photography

You can get to all these places by normal car in winter.

San Carlos de...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in Iceland for photography

Thank you very much for your reply.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter in Iceland for photography

Depending on snow levels in the SE-area once you're there, you might have to walk a bit to reach Fjarðárgljúfur. The road to it goes up a steep hill and down the other side. If the hillsides are slipppery it might be feasable to either leave the car at the top of the small hill /leave it at/near the brigde you cross, and walk down the west side to the starting point (8-10 minute walk down, 20-25 minutes if at the bridge) rather than taking a chance of being "locked in" a icy, gravel side road with relatively no traffic on the way.

Bring hiking boots and leg covers, pictured: …campmor.com/wp-content/uploads/Mountain-Har…

San Carlos de...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter in Iceland for photography

thank you very much!

7. Re: Winter in Iceland for photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:18