We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
463 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

Hello,

I'm traveling to Iceland next week and am staying in Vik for two nights. My main hope is to see Reynisfjara, the cave there, and Dyrhólaey.

Now that I've been reading a bit about it, I'm reading that you need a 4WD car to get there? Is this true even in July? Some people say they have gone in a 2 WD, so it's confusing. If you DO need a 4WD, is it possible to hike from one area to the other. Looking at a map, they look about 3km apart but I don't know if it's possible. We are in fine physical shape and used to hiking.

Thanks for any wisdom you can share about this.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

You get to these places in any car, 2WD is fine. Even though the distance between these places is only 3 Km. you need to make a big detour around the area to get to one from the other. There is a river in between.

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
463 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

Thank you. You give excellent advice from what I've seen on these forums (I lurk all the time since I'm excited about the trip but want to avoid asking already-answered questions), so I shall take your word about this. I suspected that the people who said it needed 4WD may have been driving in winter.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

The 4WD references are probably because of the upper side road to Dyrhólaey. There are two places to park ones car and sometimes people attempt to drive up to the upper parking lot. The road to it is however a pure 4WD track that is hard to navigate through. Don't be fooled by the buses that go the route anyways, their road clearance is more than 30cm, much higher than any normal rental car and they are usually 4WD with Diff locks to & between both axles.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

The road to the upper parking is newly renovated, and no problem at all for 2WD. A little steep, but no need for extra ground clearance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

Helpful info, thanks! I assume that what you're calling 'upper parking' is what's marked on the map as 'Dyrholaviti'?

en.ja.is/kort/?type=map&x=494588&y=321702&z=8

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

Yes, that´s the upper parking.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

cheers

Toronto
Level Contributor
305 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

I drove up the road to the "upper parking" area back in 2011; has it been improved since then? (Or had it gotten a lot worse in the interim?)

At the time, it was in rather poor shape, with large patches of exposed rock. It was still passable to a smallish 2WD (a Suzuki Swift, I think). One just had to drive very, very slowly and cautiously.

9. Re: How do I get from Vik to Dyrhólaey / Reynisfjara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:15