We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

Before I left for Iceland, someone posted a thread to answer any questions about it. Two weeks later, I am here to pay it forward! I drove the Ring Road with my girlfriend in June over two weeks, covering the perimeter of Iceland plus the Westfjords.

We are both in our early 20s and camped pretty much every night. We were most interested in seeing the raw natural beauty of Iceland by going on as many hikes and adventures as we could within our budget (US$3,000 each including flight).

Feel free to ask any questions about anything! I will post a more detailed itinerary upon request.

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

Hello,

I’m going to Iceland for 12 nights with three friends. We’re having a problem finding hotel rooms. We’re flying into Reykjavik on September 10th and plan to stay for 12 nights. The focus of our trip is to hike different locations on the island. I’ve been checking the different hotels only to discover that there are no rooms available in the towns we plan to visit.

Is this a busy time to visit Iceland? Is there a shortage of hotels? We’re flexible with any type of accommodations that can offers us four beds. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

donkris:

did you try http://www.farmholidays.is/

?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

Are you just looking at hotels? Guesthouses are common. Here is one website http://www.guesthouses.is/ and you can also look at this site http://www.farmholidays.is/.

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

do you have any tips on SUV 4WD rentals?

Edited: 08 July 2014, 02:25
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

@donkris - As others have pointed out, guesthouses are very common and may be your best bet. Also, if you're in the bigger towns (Reykjavik, Isafjordur, etc.), try your luck with www.airbnb.com. There are often really good deals for rooms especially when split among several guests.

As for rentals, I rented the cheapest 2WD from Thrifty (www.thrifty.is). This was the best deal I could find when considering price and reviews. And for the time I went (mid-June), a 2WD was definitely sufficient for the Ring Road and the Westfjords. Unless you plan to drive to the highlands (F-roads), a 4WD isn't necessary from my experience. That said, I still did do a day hike in Landmannalaugar, but I took a bus there (see Reykjavik Excursions for bus schedules: https://www.re.is/iceland-on-your-own/). Keep in mind that a 4WD can be up to double the price of a 2WD, plus the cost of gas (it was about US$8.50/gallon in June).

Hope this helps!

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

Asking anything: What is the difference between dna and rna nucleotides ?

Most car rentals offer an SUV as an option in their range of vehicles. Many international brands operate in Iceland (Hertz, Budget, Dollar, Avis, Europcar etc. etc.) Check the http://www.planiceland.com/car-rental/ and search the lists

Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

@Unnar_M - Keeping me on my toes; I like it. Good thing I majored in Biology. :P

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

Thank you for these tip! It's going to be a great trip...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

How did you go with fees at attractions? Some people didn't see any recently, but others were gouged at every available opportunity...

Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back from a 2-week trip to Iceland. Ask me anything

@Vanilla_Iceland - Throughout our trip, we only had to pay fees at one attraction: Kerid, a crater lake on the Golden Circle. Even so, it was about US$3 per person. Then again, we only went on a few of the more touristy attractions (Geysir, Gulfoss, and Kerid). As for the attractions throughout the Ring Road, they are all free as far as I am aware. You just need to pay for transportation (rental car, bus, etc.) and tours (boat tours, horseback riding, snorkeling, etc.).

Hope this answers your question!