We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

Hello all,

I was driving in Iceland in June and received a speeding ticket which I absolutely know was a mistake on the part of the officer. I saw a car on the side of the road well ahead (2-3km), and was not speeding (we had seen so many police we knew not to speed), but an oncoming car was. The oncoming car had already passed the police car, so the officer probably thought he wouldn't speed so soon afterwards, and the driver probably thought he was far enough away to speed up.

Well, he was, because the officer cited me for it! The ticket is from Seydisfjordur, at 106km/hr. (in a 90km zone) Based on his rush to get me to admit guilt and get me out of his car, I can tell he was just out there churning revenue for the local council. I refuted and disputed his account of things the entire time in his car, but received a ticket anyway.

It was only 22.500 (split four ways), but I want to contest this on the grounds that it was completely false. Are there any ways to go about this? Has anyone had any success?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 18:52
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

No, you will have to pay this.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

First off: The fee does not go to the local council but to the Government. Minor issue I know… And while I’m at it then there is no quota or minimum number of tickets officers need to write.

Second: There is a distinct difference in how an approaching car and a departing car are measured so unfortunately your theory is probably wrong unless the officer was/is totally incompetent and/or set you up.

Third: Yes you can contest this but it requires that either that you send a legal representative (attorney) or go yourself to a judge and contest the fine. Although it might be a good reason to revisit Iceland then it’s not a nice way to spend your time and money.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

"we had seen so many police we knew not to speed"

-

-

Now that tells me you didn't pay any attention at all !! I go aound Iceland all the time and sometimes you don't see a police car for weeks. ;-)

Contesting it is a waste of money, much more money than the fine is by itself.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

If the officer was using radar, and not one of the new laser speed devices, then there is probably no way he could differentiate between two cars traveling in opposite directions if both were close to each other. Radar will generally lock onto the strongest signal. It would depend on a number of factors. But, most officers who use radar are experienced in estimating the speed of a vehicle, so they generally have a good idea of whether or not you are speeding when they see you. They also have to be sure that the measurement is not caused by something other than your car, so they watch how the speed measurement as shown on the display reacts for a few seconds to be sure it is consistent with the way your car is visibly moving. The general rule of thumb when operating speed radar is that the car you measure has to be out front of other traffic and visibly speeding. I can't tell from your description if there is a chance he was actually measuring another vehicle, but it could be possible. The bad news is that you have almost no chance of successfully contesting the ticket.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

Well, it was a holiday weekend and we came across 3 police cars parked on the side of the road giving tickets just between Reykjavik and Skaftafell. Then the one giving us a ticket, then 2 more in and around Akureyri.

The car that stopped us was the 5th police car we saw, and we were NOT speeding. The fact that the police gave us a ticket when there was clearly a possibility we were innocent shows just how little it is about safety and unsafe driving and how much it is about money.

I am pretty sure we were stopped by radar, don't most laser units require the officer to directly aim at your car? The way he was parked (parallel to the driving direction), would have made it almost impossible to control the direction of any laser device. And if he had used laser, he probably would have known it was not our car speeding.

Of course, the fact that it's just a "tourist tax," that foreigners basically cannot fight, gives me little confidence that these police care whether they are really catching someone who is dangerous or even guilty at all.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 20:45
Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

Yes the laser has to be pointed directly at you. Radar actually emits the radar waves in a wide cone. That is why radar cannot pick you out of a group of vehicles that are close. It also tends to lock onto the strongest signal. The strongest signal is usually the car that is closest to the radar, or it might be the one that is going the fastest, or it might be the largest. It depends on a variety of factors. I don't know how they do things in Iceland. Over here in the states, if you see a group of cars giving out tickets, there is probably another car somewhere that is actually doing the speed measurements and then calling on radio to tell others your speed. Not being there, I can't tell.

England
Level Contributor
497 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

I would have thought the car hire company would be asked to pay and then automatically charge the credit card used to pay for the hire ... just be pleased Iceland is outside the EU and you won't get any points added to your driving licence.

8. Re: Contesting speeding ticket written by radar police officer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 05:15