We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to pull off on the Ring Road?

San Marino...
Level Contributor
33 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Places to pull off on the Ring Road?

With so many beautiful sights in Iceland, is it safe to pull off if you're driving on the Ring Road? If not, what do people do?

Thanks - leaving Friday

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to pull off on the Ring Road?

There are quite a few rest stops in various places. Most of them are labeled just before you pass them (about 500m before) Just never, ever stop on the road itself, it's very dangerous because the traffic has only one lane in each direction.

San Marino...
Level Contributor
33 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to pull off on the Ring Road?

Thanks - I'm glad there are rest stops.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to pull off on the Ring Road?

There are rest stops, but not enough. I often drive and find a nice view where I'd like to stop, but there is no where to stop! There are no road shoulders either. If there is no where to stop, then don't stop. I see some very impudent people stopping right on ring road and taking photos, when there is a big semi truck coming short moments behind them. Please don't do it. Not only it's rude, but also unsafe.

San Marino...
Level Contributor
33 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to pull off on the Ring Road?

I won't stop - want to obey the law - someone who stops could cause a serious accident. Thanks.

Hafnarfjordur...
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to pull off on the Ring Road?

On most country roads there are only a few hundred meters between access roads to the farmers' fields. You can use those to stop (sensibly of course). That's what I do for my passengers in case of a sudden photo-stop.

It's good to know you'll be off the road while stopping for photos. There have been too many close calls that I've seen due to photo-stops in the middle of the road.

Have fun and drive safely!

6. Re: Places to pull off on the Ring Road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:16