We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland independently-recommended b&b and walking/nature

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland independently-recommended b&b and walking/nature

Hi,

Have been planning to walk Landmannalaugar with Discover the world travel company this August, but likely to conflict with starting my new job, so am thinking of postponing until next year.

If it happens that there is a delay in my starting this job I am thinking of a last minute flight to Iceland and touring the sites independently. Guest houses seem cheap and the main attractions appear well marked and signposted. The geysers and waterfalls do seem packed with tourists when checking out videos. As a keen walker am I likely to be disappointed by the alternative option or can I still get away from the crowds? Recommended short walks, and picturesque guest houses appreciated. Also, views on any one who has done an organised walking trip to Landmannalaugar a bonus. Thanks

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland independently-recommended b&b and walking/nature

Hi there !

I guess the tourist-packed sites might have been taking by somebody who was on a bus tour. In any case, later in the evening the places are almost empty.

It could be quite a challenge to find accommodations last-minute in August. Anything that's affordable is the soonest to disappear. This is not meant to be discouraging, just to put things into perspective.

One suggestion could be booking the tour anyway, and see how it goes with their cancellation policy. Take note that Discover the World is very likely not the tour operator, but the selling agency. Maybe a direct booking could have a more relaxed cancellation policy.

Best regards!

Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland independently-recommended b&b and walking/nature

Hi

Have a look at airbnb.com - super for looking up independent options for accommodation. I use it a lot and it's particularly good if you want to or are open to staying with locals and experiencing personal hospitality. I'm going to Iceland in Oct Nov and have booked two Reykjavik apartments for either end of a 5 night trip. I notice there is a lot of choice across the country.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland independently-recommended b&b and walking/nature

You'll be fine to do short walks by yourself (ie a few hours) as long as you respect the weather and are well-enough equipped clothing-wise. A tour or meeting up with other hikers makes sense for overnight walks (eg 4-5 days Landmannalaugar-Thorsmork).

Here's a discount link for AirBnb www.airbnb.com/tell-a-friend… if you want it, but you may find that camping will be the only affordable option away from Reykjavik, given the late notice. You can hire tent/camping gear in Reyk if you can't bring it from home.

Besides bus, or your own car hire, see www.samferda.net for car pooling options.

4. Re: Iceland independently-recommended b&b and walking/nature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 06:15