We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Day trip in Iceland

Tamworth, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
10 Day trip in Iceland

My girlfriend and I are going to Iceland in little over 2 weeks, we have flights and a campervan booked for 10 days.

The problem is that we really can't decide what to do on the trip.

We have talked about driving the first half of the trip[ across the south coast and up to the East Fjords before heading back along route 1 to Reyk to party for the weekend (I've been to Reyk twice before and love the nightlife!) before travelling up to the Westfjords (we would both dearly love to see this area).

However, we have also been Considering doing the full ring road.. But we would then be in Reyk at the end of the trip and miss the weekend.

A bit of guidance would be great, how do people usually split a 10 road trip in Iceland? What have some of you done in the past?

Thanks,

Alex

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

Well, you'll have to set your priorities: partying, or nature. If you really want to party in Reykjavik, you'll have to take some days in the south coast, and some days in the West Fjords, and the Golden Circle somewhere, I suppose.

It's all up to you :)

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
104 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

I would highly recommend during the entire ring road if you are going all the way there. The eastern fjords and places around Akureyri and must lest touristy than the sourthern part, and very untouched. Some of the the most outwordly stuff I have seen were in the north (Dettifoss, Asbyrgi canyon, Krafla near Myvatn, Seydisfjordur, etc). Is it possible to spend the first couple of days overlapping the weekend in Rejkjavik, and then go around the ring road? We did a 10 day ring road trip where the first Saturday and last Sunday were spent in Rejkjavik, and I found the party scene to be pretty nice both days.

Tamworth, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

Hi thanks for your reply. We go Sept 1st and come back Sept 11th so there is only one weekend there.

We both like the idea of being in the wilderness so to speak. For that it's really down to a choice between the North and the Westfjords because if we do the whole ring road I think the westfjords would be too much of a detour to fit in.

For people that have experienced both, which is more interesting. The North or the Westfjords?

I have been to Reykjavik on the weekend before and had such a great time that I wanted to show my girlfriend around on her first trip to Iceland.

Tamworth, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

Having such a stressful time planning this trip.

Is there any way of fitting the Westfjords into a 10 trip as well as the ring road?

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

10 days on the ring road, and you will feel like you missed out a few. Adding the West fjords enhances such a feeling greatly. My advice = concentrate on the time given to you and leave the rest for a future visit. :-)

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

I just spent a month in Iceland. I did 14 days on a mountain bike in the interior, then spent another 16 days with my wife in a rented 4x4. That was enough time for us to not just drive the Ring Road, but also to drive all of the Snaefellsness peninsula as well as drive the 208 around Katla to Landmannalauger and even the Road 35 and Golden Circle. I admit, as a journalist that was mostly so I could cover a lot of ground to get as many images as I could - 6,000 in total.

My take...the Golden Circle was worth doing, but there are scads of tourists. The Ring Road was...meh. I think those who do just the Ring Road really miss out. The Snaefellsness peninsula was a favorite as was the drive around Katla via Landmanalauger, which is a beautiful and otherworldly place. The northern aspect of the island all the way to Dettifoss was super. The east fjords were nice, but again nothing we hadn't seen elsewhere.

The most enjoyable aspects of our time there were often found on the F-roads. Scenic and with fewer traffic, they really conveyed the rawness of the landscape. Very fun. The roads west of Landmannalauger drive through a moonscape that is hard to describe. Austere and barren to the point of beautiful.

Tamworth, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

Problem is, our campervan won't can't go on F roads.

Current itinerary is looking like this;

Sept 1st:

Arrive late afternoon, collect the campervan and stock up on supplies/rrest for the night near to Reykjavik.

Sept 2nd:

Head towards Vik along route 1 taking in the major sights along the way and chilling on the beaches (weather permitted)

Sept 3rd:

Hike to the plane wreck near to Vik (don't think the campervan would manage it) head to Jokulsarlon and take a zodiac boat tour.

Sept 4th:

Head back along route 1 and do a hike somewhere?

Sept 5th: Head back to Reykjavik, have a walk around the city, dinner and drinks on the night.

Sept 6th:

Explore Snaefellsnes peninsula

Sept 7th:

As above, afternoon ferry to the Westfjords.

Sept 8th:

Explore westfjords heading towards Isafjordur.

Sept 9th:

As above, rest the night in Isafjordur.

Sept 10th:

Travel back to Reyk, rest the night

Sept 11th:

Blue Lagoon before flying home.

Does this sound viable? The ring road is our plan b should the weather be too bad to do the Westfjords in 2wd campervan.

Tamworth, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

Also. My one other concern is that my girlfriend is of Jamaican origin, how are local Icelanders likely to be towards her in the more out of the way places like the Westfjords? I know this might be a stupid question but every country has its share of idiots.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
794 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

Your girlfriend should have no cause for worry.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Day trip in Iceland

You should take your camper van to Pagkill just 20km east and north of Vik. I saw tons of passenger cars and little camper vans there. Stunning place to camp. The road is little more than bumpy in spots. Saw a Prius do it.

The same holds true for the road to the plane wreck, which is rather uneventful. That road is void of anything that would require high clearance or all wheel drive. At least the first 80% of the drive. Again, after riding my bike there I was left thinking...meh. Could have skipped it.