We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explorer Couple with 9 days in Iceland - What can we do?

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Explorer Couple with 9 days in Iceland - What can we do?

Hi All,

My wife and I will be going to Iceland in the beginning of September for 9 days and are currently planning on driving the Ring Road, with stops for day hikes and camping. If we can, we'd like to do an overnight hike as well.

I know 9 days for this may seem like not enough time, but we aren't really looking for a vacation with down time, but rather a journey and exploring and enjoying the beautiful country.

Does anyone have any advice on a possible itinerary, timelines, must dos, etc? All input is welcome.

FYI - we have read the Lonely Planet Iceland book already.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Ring Road
Ring Road
123 Reviews
Iceland
Planet Apartments
Planet Apartments
196 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Explorer Couple with 9 days in Iceland - What can we do?

I can't imagine a 9 day Ring Road itinerary where you have time for day and overnight hikes.

How about sticking to the W/SW/S and exploring Snaefellsnes, Landmannalaugar–Thorsmork?

Mentioned in this post
Ring Road
Ring Road
123 Reviews
Iceland
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
113 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Colorado
Level Contributor
361 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explorer Couple with 9 days in Iceland - What can we do?

Take a look at the Trip Report I posted yesterday in this forum. We had 12 days, but you could do something similar. We did a decent amount of hiking and exploring with virtually no downtime, and based ourselves in Stykkisholmur, near Kirkjubaejarklaustur, and Hella.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 23:57
Mentioned in this post
Stykkisholmur
Stykkisholmur
West Region, Iceland
Kirkjubaejarklaustur
Kirkjubaejarklaustur
South Region, Iceland
Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
246 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explorer Couple with 9 days in Iceland - What can we do?

I just returned from a month there and did a variety of travel segments with 14 days on a mountain bike, and 16 with a rented 4x4. I have no idea why everyone puts such an emphasis on the Ring Road. It was cool, but not worth a dedicated visit in my opinion. Got bordering boring after a while. Like we were whizzing past some cool stuff. Having a month there, we at least got way off the Ring Road.

I'd narrow your area of exploration. For what it;s worth, we were able to see Sneafellsness Peninsula, the Golden Circle (meh), Landmannalaugher (awesome) and a good chunk of the north including Dettifoss all in 9 days, no problem.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 21:58
Mentioned in this post
Ring Road
Ring Road
123 Reviews
Iceland
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
536 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
4. Re: Explorer Couple with 9 days in Iceland - What can we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16