We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

LA
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Topic
Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

Hi!

For my trip on October, I will be driving from Reykjavik to Látrabjarg directly. It's such a long drive (more than 6 hrs according to the google map).

Looks like this route is not a usual route. What places should I stop on the way? Are there any famous places I should stop?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

You absolutely won't have any time to stop, but to pee.

It's waaay more than 6 hours.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
739 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

It will be a long drive on mostly gravel routes. I presume you know that there won't be any puffins at Látrabjarg in October. It is a beautiful place nevertheless. En route you could stop at Örlygshöfn (see http://www.parrikar.com/blog/2012/03/11/orlygshofn/) and/or take a detour to Rauðasandur. Although I don't think you will have enough daylight (*) to cover this unless you start out very early from Reykjavík.

(*) When in Oct, early or late Oct ? The difference in daylight hours is significant at these latitudes. Also note that winter comes earlier to the Westfjords.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 02:50
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

I did it in one day no problem. Left mid-morning from Reykjavik. Stopped in Borgarnes to get food supplies at the Bonus. Stopped for lunch at a gas station. Got to Latrabjarg at dinner time.

Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

voiceofgoa, "mostly gravel routes"?. The Road between Reykjavik and Latrabjarg is 426 km long and there are ca 60 kms that are still gravel (40 if you take the ferry across)

There might be some wintry conditions although the southern part of the Westfjords is very different from the northern in terms of climate.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
739 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

I recall that route 60 along the northern end of Breiðafjörður beginning at Gilsfjörður until Vatsfjörður is gravel. Has it been sealed now?

Edited: 22 August 2014, 14:56
Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

More than half of the road there was already paved prior to 2009 and now only the easternmost 20 kms remain.

The 612 is still in the same condition however, and will remain so for some time.

LA
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

@Diane_Ph // Thank you! I think it can even be 10 hours. I will leave very early in the morning

@voiceofgoa // Thank you! I will be driving on October 13. At this point..I'm not sure if I should visit Látrabjarg or not. By the time I get there from Reykjavik, I assume it will be dark. Not sure if it's worth it or not.

@hrme17 // Thank you! What time did you arrive at Látrabjarg?

@ValdiSig // Thank you! That was helpful. I probably have to decide on the day...I never drove on a showy road..

8. Re: Where to stop between Reykjavik to Látrabjarg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:17