We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost town

bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ghost town

Hi ,

we are thinking of staying in palm mar in private accomodation first week of march , me and wifey ( both late 40s ) , where we are staying has great sunbathing area so if the weathers good were more than happy just to lie back and look at the sun after this winters deluge , but am slightly worried if the weather isnt too great from what im reading its a bit of a ghost town , dont get me wrong i dont want flashing lights loud music till 2am everynight but a nice bar for a few sundowners etc and a couple or 3 resturants would be nice , also i hear there is no beach is that correct , we do like our walking so can we walk to los cristianos , not planning on hiring a car from the airport so is there a hire centre in town if i need one , sorry for all the questions but just like to get a little insight to our well earned break , thanks kev & dee

8 replies to this topic
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,237 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost town

Hi Kev and Dee, Yes Palm Mar can be a ghost town but it is a nice ghost town. If you check my Red Queen blog under restaurants you will find 3 or 4 that are nice here is a link https:/… Bars I'm not keen on one but the Tasca Punta Rasca has some good music a couple of nights a week. There is a beach but it is pebble not sand. You can walk across the mountain to Los Cristianos if you are halfway fit again on my blog my OH did it and he is old!! I don´t know about car hire I only know the village quite well as one of my girlfriends lives there. Hope this helps.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost town

We have stayed in Palm Mar over the winter months and it can be very dismal and boring without sun.

I wouldn't like to stay there without a car but if you are only there for a week to chill out it should be fine.

There are only two busses a day.

You can't walk to Los Cristianos by the main road and yes as Aguilas says you can walk over the mountain but it is literally a mountain and not something you would be able to do at night in the dark and it's not a route you would take to just pop over to LC !

A taxi back will charge around 20 euros.

There are a few quite good restaurants .The bars are all open style and quite chilly to sit in at night.

Hope I haven't sounded negative as there are some lovely walks and the surrounding area are very well kept and you will definitely have peace and quite to chill out.

Rugeley, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost town

Try Pearls Pantry for friday fish and chips,absolutely georgeous,plus a proper game of bingo with big money payouts.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost town

Sundowners??? Obviously Ex-RN!!! Enjoy!!!

swansea
Level Contributor
107 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghost town

We spent a week over new year in Palm-Mar and enjoyed our week relaxing there , there's a supermarket on the way into town where we bought everything we needed for breakfast , we spent most of the day sunbathing then tried Pearls Pantry for a light lunch (fantastic Sunday Lunch) then we made our way into Los Cris for the evening and a taxi one way is from 12to 15 euros. There's a nice walk down the beach over to Las Galletas.

A couple of evenings we ate in Palm- mar ,excellent chinese near the roundabout .

swansea
Level Contributor
107 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghost town

We spent a week over new year in Palm-Mar and enjoyed our week relaxing there , there's a supermarket on the way into town where we bought everything we needed for breakfast , we spent most of the day sunbathing then tried Pearls Pantry for a light lunch (fantastic Sunday Lunch) then we made our way into Los Cris for the evening and a taxi one way is from 12to 15 euros. There's a nice walk down the beach over to Las Galletas.

A couple of evenings we ate in Palm- mar ,excellent chinese near the roundabout .

Paris
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghost town

The information provided in the post is incorrect. Line 468 leaves Palm Mar at 0610, 0810,1310 and 1510 for Las Galletas where connections can be made both the north and south of Tenerife. The same service leaves Palm Mar at 0740, 0940, 1440 and 1640 for Guaza. Again there are connections here for Los Christianos, Las Americas, Airport South and Santa Cruz. There are no buses after 1640 but taxis are reasonable. There is no weekend service.

Lancs
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ghost town

Mixed messages so I'll try to give it straight.

Palm Mar is a quiet village but by no means a ghost town. it is about 20 minutes from the airport and a taxi will cost about 20 euros each way. A little car can be hired from Auto Reisen at the airport and compares well against taxis and gives you the flexibility if you do feel like venturing abroad to los chistianos or las americas ( about 15 minutes by car)

There are a number of good restaurants and bars with a great Sunday lunch at pearls pantry.. there is a good supermarket in the town for provisions.

As with anywhere it is sometimes cloudy and sometimes it rains (but not for long) and there is usually plenty of sun.

We have been going to PM for abot 10 years now and our time there has NEVER EVER been spoiled by bad weather.

The beach is mainly rocks but there are some lovely walks along the new promenade or over the mountain to los chistianos (about and hour each way)

There is usually some entertainment in PM in the evening.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in PM

Edited: 03 May 2014, 17:45
Reply to: Ghost town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palm-Mar
More Palm-Mar Topics