We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grímsey island

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grímsey island

We would like to visit Grímsey Island in early June .

We do not want to fly there. Are there any ferries from Husavik ? Which ferries run daily in early June ? Is there a tour guide we can hire on the island ? Do we need a tour guide ? Will there be lots of puffins there in early June ? Thank you

8 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grímsey island

Here's all the information you may need on how to get to Grímsey - https:/…getting-there

Yes, there will be lots of puffins, and no you do not need a guide. But guided tours of the island do exist.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grímsey island

Thank you. Can you recommend a guided tour ?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grímsey island

If you find one, then that's the one :)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grímsey island

Grimsey is about 2 sq miles in size. Really don't think that you need a guide to walk around something that small or find the Arctic Circle monument,

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grímsey island

The normal duration of a visit is 4 hours. if you are coming and going by ferry, you can cover everything on foot by yourself. Really don't need to throw good money after a guide.

Avondale...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grímsey island

I contacted the Ambassador excursion and it seems as if it's no longer an option. The ferries are fairly limited since they don't go every day. I had hoped for a Saturday trip but can't find a way to get there on a Saturday. The airplane looks like for the amount of money it costs, the trip is short. Do you know of other options?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grímsey island

Ferry or Fly are really the only options, Most tour companies seem to use the ferry service to take their customers over for a day trip so of course they only have tours the same days the ferry runs,

Perhaps chartering a private boat may be an option.

Haacht, Belgium
Level Contributor
137 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grímsey island

Always a difficult decision to take in Iceland, because everything is so expensive. But I visited Grímsey last June and went by plane. The view of the Eyjafjòrđur bay was spectacular from above. One of the highlights of my trip. Beside puffins, a lot of other seabirds on the island an you get a certificate you crossed the

Arctic circle :-)

Reply to: Grímsey island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grimsey Island