We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip from Reykjavik

ny
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip from Reykjavik

What makes this worthwhile as a daytrip?

9 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

Since you're posting this in the Grimsey Island forum I assume you are asking what makes a daytrip to there worthwhile. Grimsey Island is the only place in Iceland where you can cross the Arctic Circle, something that fascinates some people. Others might feel indifferent about it. You can get a certificate that states that you have crossed the line, perhaps you'd like to brag about it to your friends ;)

This is a place that can give you the feeling that you are somewhere very remote (and you are).

Plenty of birds (including puffins and various sea birds), perfect for birdwatchers. The spring and summer months are the best for this purpose.

During the summer you can have a meal at the Krían restaurant.

Boat trips around the island can be arranged.

If crossing the Arctic Circle fascinates you then you should consider this trip. If not...well then I think your time could be better spend somewhere else.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

Well you've either had the experience or not.

We flew to Grimsey from Akureyri and it was worth it for us due to the small plane we flew in. We were there for 1.5 hours, so not all day.

The island is an island and nothing much seemed open, but we only went to go to the Arctic Circle and get our certificates : ) we also have some mascot monkeys who come on holidays with us and yes, they are now Arctic Monkeys!

Husband got buzzed and pecked by an Arctic Tern (sorry if it was another sort of bird for those of you who know about such things) and it wasn't even nesting time, so suggest wearing a hat to protect the head.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 15:21
Irvine, California
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

Hi sdsw12, I am planning a trip to Iceland for late December, and want to do a day trip from Reykjavik to the artic circle just like you did. Can you please tell me what tour company you used?

Edited: 03 August 2014, 07:59
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

From what I hear, there isn't much bird life from Sept?

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

That suits well for some. Having no pesty Arctic Terns pecking your head while walking around. ;-)

For those curious. It doesn't need to be nesting season for one to get pecked in the head. Arctic Terns are very territorial, so if you're walking on their turf you get pecked !

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
109 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

If the weather is clear, the flights from Reykjavik to Akureyri, and then to Grimsey in a puddle jumper are spectacular. And a bit costly. But if you an afford it, crossing the Arctic Circle is the least of the pleasures of Grimsey. The hike around the island is just wonderful, with spectacular views of the cliffs and ocean, plus warm greetings from gentle Icelandic horses. Do follow the paths and DO wear a hat! There is only one restaurant/bar but it is excellent and reasonably priced. I had home-made mushroom soup and bread with lots of butter. Yum. I asked for a Brennivin. "Ah! You have discovered the only bar in Iceland that has no Brennivin!" I was told by the owner. But not to worry; they usually have it :-) The people of Grimsey are just lovely and open to conversation. If you have time, I would strongly recommend taking the ferry from Dalvik. See www.landflutningar.is/saefari/english for the schedule. You can return the same day or enjoy this blissfully remote island and its welcoming people overnight.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

Hello

I am in Reykjavik between 01.02.2015 and 06.02.2015 and I am searching for a flight from Reykjavik to grimsey One Day Trip, but i found nothing. Can you help me? I want to Cross the Arctic Circle

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
109 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

Others on this topic might have a specific recommendation but if not, contact Jon Gunnar at www.IcelandUnlimited.is for a suggestion.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytrip from Reykjavik

It looks like AIr Iceland hasn't layed out the flight plan to and from Grímsey for 2015 yet :-/

Last winter there were flights about 3-5 times a week so I hope the service will remain the same...

Reply to: Daytrip from Reykjavik
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grimsey Island