We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival at night

Which Keflavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Arrival at night

Hello everybody,

my flight from Bologna (Italy, BLQ) will land at Keflavik at 3:35 am on August 12th. Flight is no. HCC254 by Iceland Express. Operation just started on last Saturday :-)

We have a car booked and waiting for us at the airport. But the question is: should we stay at the airport until morning or go to a hotel nearby and sleep for a few hours?

I'd stay at the airport for a while and then drive away early in the morning, but other friends would rather sleep a few hours on a bed. Right now it's a tie 2 to 2.

Since accomodation in Iceland are not cheap, I'd push the issue about staying at the airport and spend the money on something else (more luxury here and there :-) ), but I've read that the airport closes at night until 5am, so that would be a problem!

But if it's closed, how could we land? Maybe it's different in the summer?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Erika

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival at night

This is little bit difficult to say.

I can tell you that the air port does not close at 5. The internal part of it (arrivals) might close, but around 5 people are already there for departure, so the non-restricted areas are open. There is also store at the air port that is open 24-7.

It however does not sound like good place to rest and be ready for the day.

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival at night

Thanks for your fast reply, it helped a lot.

I talked with my co-travellers and we decided not to book any hotel rooms. Our car will be waiting for us when we get in Keflavik, so we will drink a coffee upon arrival at the 24h café and then head to our next destination.

Thanks for the help!

Have a nice evening,

Erika

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival at night

Hi,

I have a similar question. I'm arriving around 11:30 p.m. on a Friday night and flying out the next morning from Keflavik. I've booked a hotel room but was wondering what is nearby that I could do perhaps in the morning before my flight at 10:30 a.m.?

Thanks in advance!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival at night

There is not much to do for that little time.

5. Re: Arrival at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 05:15