We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

Barcelona, Spain
12 posts
Save Topic
Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

Does anyone know if you can get these creams over the counter in Iceland? I have in Spain and Portugal but not sure about Iceland

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Golden Circle Classic Day Trip from...
2,140 Reviews
from US$70.20*
Free Cancellation
Southern Iceland Glaciers, Waterfalls...
558 Reviews
from US$89.90*
Free Cancellation
Golden Circle, Kerid Volcanic Crater...
214 Reviews
from US$155.00*
Free Cancellation
7 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

These names are unfamiliar.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

Maybe contact the Lyfja chain and ask:

https://www.lyfja.is/english/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

Retinol and Tretinoin are ingredients often found in skin creams used to treat wrinkles, dark spots, acne, etc. What makes something available “over the counter” is the strength/amount of the ingredient in a formulation.

I would be very surprised if you couldn’t find skin creams and beauty products, containing the ingredients retinol or tretinoin in them, available over the counter in Iceland. They should be located where ever facial creams and beauty products are found, so not just in a pharmacy. Costco would probably have them for example. However, based on the cost of most imported items in Iceland, I would think the creams would be fairly expensive and you might be better off stocking up elsewhere.

If you’re looking for a therapeutic strength cream to treat acne though, you would probably need a prescription.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Barcelona, Spain
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

In the UK and US they are only available on prescription - you cannot buy any cream containing tretinoin without a prescription. However: in Spain and Portugal you can buy creams with tretinoin directly over the counter in pharmacies same strength without a prescription, which makes them cheaper. My question was whether you can get them without a prescription in Iceland

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

The general policy for pharmaceutical products in Iceland is strict - more strict than the UK. My first guess is that it would need a prescription. In the unlikely event of these being over the counter creams, there is a 99,9% chance it will cost 2x, or even 4x, the price in Spain.

Edited: 22 October 2017, 01:44
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

If you see someone at a UK, US, or Spanish pharmacy (f.e.) filling their basket more than a normal person would, chances are you've found an Icelander...... 😊

Edited: 22 October 2017, 01:46
California
Level Contributor
137 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?

😆 I love to visit pharmacies on my vacations, to see what great buys are there. No, not Iceland! Denmark and Germany are pretty great.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Reply to: Pharmacies in Reykjavik - retinol and tretinoin?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted