We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern lights

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
312 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Northern lights

Hi there,

I know that you can not guarantee seeing the Northern Lights, but are times of the year, when it's a bit more likely, I was thinking of booking to go next December 2018.

Thanks for any information given.

15 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern lights

Anytime between end of August and early April. Have a read about the NLs and you'll find out how fickle they are.

Personally for me December is the worst time to visit as the days are so short, so curtailed day time sightseeing.

Never plan a trip around the NLs the chances are that you may not see them, go because it's a country you want to see. Also realise it's a very expensive country, gone be seduced by cheap airfares.

If you go enjoy the amazing countryside and treat the NLs as an added bonus, manage expectations. Enjoy.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern lights

I would avoid December. I think that's when it's most cloudy ... maybe it's just a feeling. And it's just so dark.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern lights

I would pick September or March if I was forced to recommend two months. :)

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
312 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern lights

Thank you all for your comments, I think maybe I need to re think December.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern lights

I liked December a lot!

scunthorpe
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern lights

I'm going in 4 weeks, fingers crossed it's not cloudy. Going whale watching too

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
312 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern lights

Thanks 2KaTTs for your reply, jadeyB, I would be interested in your opinion on Iceland in December. On balance still looking at December as a possibility, :)

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern lights

December isn't too bad as long as you are aware that you will only have 4-5 hours of daylight and don't mind spending most of the day in darkness. And of course you need to be ready for cold, windy and possibly wet weather and bring the right clothing and boots to enjoy your visit even in inclement weather. Self-driving in December is not recommended, guided tours would be a better choice. Plus I would avoid the actual holidays, since pretty much everything closes down, so people can spend time with their families and you should research, prepare and book many months in advance if you want to find tours, accommodation or restaurants for the holidays.

Edited: 22 November 2017, 09:44
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern lights

December is dark, very short days and so less time for sightseeing during the day. Iceland is all about the amazing countryside so you want longer days. March is great as the days are much longer and the light brighter, great for sightseeing.

I've been in January,February and March and would choose March every time for the longer days. On a cloudy day in December it will be very gloomy all day. In March as the sun is higher even on a gloomy day it will be brighter.

If you like short days, late sunrise, early sunset, don't mind travelling in the dark then December will suit. Otherwise then choose March for snow or September for Autumn colours.

Enjoy.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern lights

Yvonne, if your only choice to go to Iceland is December, then go in December. Iceland is not to be missed.

If you have any other choice then do not go to Iceland in December, the darkest month of the year, offering the least opportunities to see the magnificence of the land. The more hours of daylight, the more Iceland you can see. The more Iceland you can see, the better.

Reply to: Northern lights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted