We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Iceland like in January?

Newry, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's Iceland like in January?

Travelling to Iceland in January 8th. Appreciate information on the weather and what's the best tour to do (the southern tour or the golden circle?) Any tips and recommendations be great!

8 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Iceland like in January?

Does that mean you only have one full day? Be ready for cold, very windy and possibly wet weather.

What are your interests and is this your first visit?

Personally if I had only one day I would do a South Coast day tour with a glacier hike.

Newry, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Iceland like in January?

I have a 4 day stay. What would be the best things to do?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Iceland like in January?

For 4 days I would recommend a glacier tour (Visit an icecave, go snowmobiling, or do a glacier walk) Golden Circle tour and South Coast, and possibly a visit to a hot spring. There are combotours that you can take that combine for instance South Coast and a glacier walk or Golden Circle with a snowmobile tour or a Secret Lagoon Tour visit (Hot spring, some people prefer it to The Blue Lagoon).

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Iceland like in January?

was just there in Nov for 5 days and was -4 during the day. so i guess will be even colder, pack the ski gear and extra layers. covered golden circle route, blue lagoon, glacier walk etc.

La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Iceland like in January?

It will be dark, cold, windy, rainy, snowy, sunny in no certain order. Other than the night and daylight hours, there is also no certain time frame for how long any type of weather lasts. I've seen it change every 20 minutes.

Plan for wind and rain, expect very short daylight hours. Bring water proof layers, warm waterproof boots. There's lots of threads on how to dress on this board.

I love the south coast.

Edited: 22 November 2017, 01:30
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Iceland like in January?

Look into a 3-day tour to Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon that will include the Golden Circle, the South Coast, the glacier lagoon and ice beach, a glacier hike, an ice cave tour and two nights accommodation. You'll be staying in the countryside, so if the Northern Lights forecast is good you can step outside and wait for however long you want to . It's really five tours in one and in my opinion one of the best ways to see and do a lot in a short time in winter.

Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Iceland like in January?

Can I ask how and who the 3 day tour is booked through?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Iceland like in January?

Several companies offer this tour.

Check Extreme Iceland or Arctic Adventures (who belong together), GoEcco or GuidetoIceland, but pay attention to the minimum age for the activities and if in doubt contact the companies to see if you can make it work for your younger son by maybe paying less for the activities you may have to skip or offering alternative options.

Reply to: What's Iceland like in January?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted