We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am going to Iceland in December

Mount Lebanon...
2 posts
Save Topic
I am going to Iceland in December

I am going to Iceland in December (First week of December), I am sure that I will be missing out on a lot of hiking and other outdiirs actvities because of the snow and the cold.

But will I be able to do all the other tours? such as the Northern lights, Golden circle, black sand beach?

Thank you !

3 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am going to Iceland in December

How long are you staying for?

Look into booking a 3-day tour to Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon that will include the Golden Circle, the South Coast, the glacier lagoon and ice beach, a glacier hike, an ice cave tour and two nights accommodation. You'll be staying in the countryside, so if the Northern Lights forecast is good you can step outside and wait for however long you want to . It's really five tours in one and in my opinion one of the best ways to see and do a lot in a short time in winter.

Or you could do day tours to the Golden Circle, the Reykjanes Peninsula and the South Coast until Vík, a superjeep day tour to Þórsmörk or explore Reykjavík.

Many other activities like horse riding, lava tube caving, snowmobiling, snorkelling Silfra etc. are also possible. Bring warm layers and fully wind- and waterproof jacket, pants and boots. Yaktrax or microspikes might be a good idea for icy ground and if you want to look for the Northern Lights, handwarmers and a thermos flask could also be a good idea. Prepare for limited daylight of only around 5 hours.

Tours and activities will not be cancelled because of snow or cold, but they might be cancelled if there is a storm warning or the road conditions are dangerous. Then you will be refunded, though.

Edited: 22 November 2017, 08:09
Mount Lebanon...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I am going to Iceland in December

We already booked a hotel at Hitlon Nordica, so our stay location is in the city. We must come back to the hotel at the end of the day!

we will be taking the blue lagoon tour on the first day, the golden circle tour on the second day with the northern lights tour at night, we are left with day three, what do you recommend to do?

is my search accurate about the tours?

Thank you again.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am going to Iceland in December

I would recommend either a South Coast day tour to Vík and back with a glacier hike, a superjeep day tour to Þórsmörk or maybe the Into the Glacier tour at Langjökull, but that really depends on your interests, e.g. if you are more into sightseeing or more into activities etc.

If you want to maximize your chances of seeing the NL, do that tour on your first night. That way if the tour is cancelled or you don't see the lights you still have two more nighs to try.

Edited: 22 November 2017, 08:45
Reply to: I am going to Iceland in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted