We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

26 h in Iceland - possible?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
26 h in Iceland - possible?

This is sort of such a question I get from American cruise passengers staying only one day in Stockholm, but I hope someone can help me answer a crazy schedule question. :)

Will be landing Fri 24 August 15.30 with IcelandAir from Stockholm.

Will be leaving Sat 25 August 17.00 with IcelandAir to New York.

Renting a car in Keflavik Airport.

Is this schedule possible? Alternatives?

Friday

Driving to Blue Lagoon and beeing there a couple of hours

Driving to Reykjavik Perlan, eating dinner there

Checking in at hotel (any)

Saturday

Checking out

Driving to Geysir and Gullfoss

Back to Keflavik and away to US for vacation.

Having read nordic history and all the icelandic sagas in school, I would love to see Tingvalla and the Saga museum in Perlan too, but the time is to limited.

Is it better to stay in Reykjavik and skip the Geysir and Gullfoss? What is your advices? Something else to my (crazy) schedule?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

Hi Baggen,

The Saga museum will be closed by the time you're in Reykjavík on the 24th so you have to skip it.

The time window on the 25th isn't great enough to do the whole golden circle (Þingvellir-Geysir-Gullfoss) and getting back to Keflavík on time while enjoying yourself (unless you start at 5 a.m. mayby). So why not just drive to Þingvellir and back on the Saturday?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

I would visit the Blue Lagoon on your way from the airport, that way you leave Saturday free. Renting a car is not essential but would be a good idea due to the short length of your trip.

There is easily enough to do in Reykjavik to fill a day. Instead of the Saga Museum, go to the Icelandinc National Museum - its a short walk out of the centre near the lake. The museum has more Nordic artefacts than the Saga museum anyway and since you say that you have studied Nordic history, the national museum is less touristy so you might prefer it.

The best time to visit the museum is when it opens in the morning and it takes about an hour to see (maybe an hour and a half). If you drive straight to Thingvellir from there, it will take about an hour and a half or so - time would be very tight. I don't think you would make your flight.

As an alternative to leaving Reykjavik, you could see the other sights in Reykjavik like Hallgrimms Church.

OR if you are feeling crazy, you could drive straight from the airport to Thingvellir - remember that it will be daylight all the time so you could see it in the evening. From Keflavik, it would take about two hours to get to Thingvellir and about an hour and a half to get back to Reykjavik. Geysir and Gulfoss aren't far from Thingvellir so you could stop by and see them. If you did this, make sure you visit the Blue Lagoon on the way back to the airport.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

So a schedule could be like this?

Friday

Landing Keflavik 1530

Renting car

Driving Gullfoss - Geysir - Tingvalla - Reykjavik

Hotel

Saturday

National Museum

Saga museum

Blue lagoon

Flying from Keflavik 1700

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

Yes just like that but without the Saga museum because it will be closed.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

Why will the Saga Museum be closed? On their web site I cannot see anything about that. What do you know that I dont?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

The Saga museum is open daily from 10-18. Raydar probably misunderstood my earlier comment, I only meant that you'd be arriving in Reykjavík to late to catch it on that day. You should be fine with the plan you have now re. the Saga museum. I totally recommend it btw, especially if you know some Icelandic history and the Sagas, as you do.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

Thanks, now I understand. You are probably right.

Thank you both of you. Of course it is almost a crime to visit so short time, but this is a stop-over while going to USA. I hope I can come back later again.

Yes I am interested in history and the sagas, and maybe the area between the two, the sagas that can be history or the history that sounds like a saga. I guess all people in the Nordic countries study this at school.

By the way is there something more or something else to put to my brief schedule?

I look forward to this, I have just booked the tickets on internet and recieved them by internet.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

I wouldn't try to squeeze anything else into your already tight schedule. You'll be arriving very late at the hotel on friday night and beware that late August is not as bright as mid June. But what the heck...you can sleep on the plane:)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

Oh sorry about that I was in Reykjavik a few months ago and the Saga museum was closed so I assumed TaraTara meant it wasn't re-opening. Good to hear that it is!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 26 h in Iceland - possible?

Really? I had no idea they were closed a few months ago, I've only been once this winter and that was before christmas...their website is still up and running and I haven't heard anything. Will check tomorrow just in case.