We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to see Northern Lights?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
97 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to see Northern Lights?

When is the best time to see the Northern Lights? October or November?

Thinking of going next year - any tips on who to book with for the best deal?

Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to see Northern Lights?

From all the resources i have seen they often quote the period of Sept - Jan as Aurora months..

I have found the following site useful.

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

On the left hand side there is a section which has a comment of

"Interpret the Solar Wind/Geomagnetic Activity Plot" this will explain the above plot (which if you click it you can an idea of what has happened historically speaking)

But as with all things natural there is no guarantee that you will see it.... i'm hoping to.. but i'm spending 23 days in Iceland.. My friends who are coming over for 4 days may or may not see them..

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to see Northern Lights?

You need clear skies, and be away from city lights.

"the best deal". for what? It's easy to book flights and hotels and then drive out to a dark area and watch them if they are there.

Probably not worth booking a tour unless the weather is ideal.

Arctic Experience is a good UK agent.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
97 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to see Northern Lights?

Thanks Lephilby and Peterscot. I was looking for a good company for the best deal regarding a holiday. I was looking at being there 5 - 6 days, and wanted to do the northern lights, dog sledding, and perhaps a horse-sleigh ride, visiting the icet hotel, and blue lagoon, and some horse riding. Also seeing the waterfalls, and geysers. Have been looking at Fjord travel - you make your own way to Oslo, then you continue to hotels and tours, with some free time of your own.

Has anybody been with this company (who are based in Norway)?

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Hunter Valley
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to see Northern Lights?

Hi Steve,

I was just reading your last comment on the Northern Lights 'Fjord Travel company' question. Did you ever find out about them or go on the trip? If so, when is the best time & did you see the lights? My husband & I are looking at the same tour starting in Oslo, any suggestions? Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
5. Re: Best time to see Northern Lights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 12:18