We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

Im there in july for 5 full days. Suggestions please. Should I just tour using Reykavik as base or split time going somewhere else to stay.I like a little comfort and not into backpacking anymore.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

Stay in town (R.vik), enjoy the comfort of the city. Just book your tours the day before, according to weather, and budget. You´ll find brochures in most hotels, or at the tourist information center, Adalstræti 2. Suggestions for daytours could be:

Golden circle, 6 - 8 hours coach tour, or 10 hour superjeep tour, with a visit to the glacier, w/possible snowmobile.

South shore, full day coach tour, or coach tour with possible glacier walking, or snowmobiling.

West coast saga tour, or west coast superjeeptour with a glacier visit.

Daytour to the Snæfellsnes peninsula, a coach tour.

Superjeep tour to the highlands, Landmannalaugar and Hekla.

Motorcycle tour, one or more days.

Coach or superjeep tour to the volcanic Reykjanes peninsula, with the Blue lagoon or caving in lavatubes. (E-mail me for further info on this one).

Whale watching, Museums, the beach, or the swimmingpools, the Zoo, the botanical garden, galleries, deep sea angling, hiking the Esja mountain, horseback riding, sight seeing flights, or just shopping and bar-hopping.

There is plenty to do, and there is usually no need to book ahead, (it might though be safer, because it´s the peak season). And remember if you book yourself, you should be able to negotiate a discount.

B-)

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

That looks like I will have no time to sit down. Was thinking of splitting my hotels... 'Holt' three nights and '4th floor hotel' the other three. They both appear to be the full requirement by reviews. Any updates on them? Perhaps just stay at one and unpack the duty free once.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

Split between Holt and 4. floor ??? I don´t understand, It´s like going from gold to led.

B-)

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

Now, are you saying the Holt is gold? If so then it is strange as the 4th floor is much more expensive and looks quite new in promotion pics.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

ps and recent reviews on both properties are good but you comment gives conflict. A little xplain would be appreciated.

ta -)

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

4th floor is more like guesthouse style accommodation. It´s in a traffic area, next to the police station and central bus station, not the best neighborhood, and shared facilities ??, except of course you take the "deluxe" rooms or the suite. And no restaurant in the hotel. And I would hardly call the location "right in the heart of the city".

Hotel Holt is a respectable, high - class hotel, with real authentic art on the walls, first class service, high quality restaurant and is located in a residential area close to the center, (600 metres).

There simply is a great difference, and I cannot believe the price is the same.

holt.is/index.php…

www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll…

…eurobookings.com/hotel/is/4th-floor.html…

B-)

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

Thanks for the info. As I am about to leave for the otherside of the planet very shortly, a decission had to be made so in the end I have booked into the Centrum, only half the days were av at the Holt. Fingers x. Will write review after my trip(Greenland,Finland,Estonia,Sweden,Norway and Denmark)Quite a busy chappy.

Wai <..>

____

novascotia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

I havent stayed at the centrum have heard that stay there is pretty good.great location, near info centre, ice bar ,eaterys, If you are into indian cusine try indian mango, the best indian taka any where! great fair prices,they use icelandic ingredients e.g. artic char, guillemot, for burghers upmarket ones or other decent taka try thorvaldsens.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

Thanks peoples. Indian cuisine in Iceland sounds a little like fish and chips in Bangladesh. There has to be a chinese take a way there too. There is always one of them in the remotest regions. Mac's has not totally taken over thank heavens.

wai <..>

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To stay 5 full days in Reykyavik ?

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum is really an ideal place, especially for a first-time visitor.