We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive tour of iceland

London
8 posts
Save Topic
self drive tour of iceland

Hello

We are considering doing an 8 day 7 night self drive tour of iceland, via Iceland Express, where you drive from location to location, taking in all the sights.

We have not been before, but like the sound of it, does this kind of tour make sense, or is it just too much driving?

Places on the tour include national park, gulfoss, great geysers, vik, egilsstadir, lagaflot, and starting and ending at Reykjavik.

We are 2 adults plus 15 year old boy interested in natural wonders etc, so it seems good

My question is, are we better off organising our own tour or not, and if you were constructing an 8 day route, what would you recommend?

And how expensive is it now? We have been to Denmark a couple of years ago, and that was very expensive?

Any contributions gratefully received! Thanks

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self drive tour of iceland

I am sure Iceland express has experts to organize the tour. You are always better off using experts, that know the land, and its "little secrets" to organize your tour.

I was in London recently, and found the prices to be the same, tours, restaurants, hotels, souvenirs and things like that. The big difference I found was food in supermarkets, it´s about twice as expensive up here. Petrol is cheaper here at the moment, but is usually "Europe prize". If you buy and prepare your own food, expect about 10 pounds per person a day, that would be normal, other expenses are similar to London.

Go for the I. E. package, and if possible choose www.farmholidays.is type of stay, they are the best in my opinion for self-drivers.

Have fun.

B-)

2. Re: self drive tour of iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 11:20