We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How expensive is Iceland?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
How expensive is Iceland?

I've just started researching a trip to Iceland, for mid June. I seem to be getting contradictory information on the cost of everything which is not helping with my budget plan. I recognise flights aren't cheap as there's only Icelandair or Iceland Express between UK and KEF, but despite the fact I was told that there were plenty of hotel special offers, I can't find any. It seems Iceland, or at least perhaps Reykjavik itself is expensive, and that the only difference is that the exchange rate is better than it was a year ago.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How expensive is Iceland?

SussexWorldtraveler,

Iceland has always been expensive, as in things there costing 2-3 times more than "home", as so much is imported in Iceland.

With the financial problems in Iceland, exchange rates from a foreign currency to ISK has made Iceland a relative bargain to what it was. It just costs you less (in terms of your home currency)to visit Iceland now than it did last year.

Iceland has become a very hot tourist destination in the past 10 years, for the peak visit time of June-August. With the change in exchange rates, it now seems like everyone is going to Iceland this summer.

In my own case, I am trying to book my favorite hotel in Reykjavik for Culture Night in August, and they are fully booked for that month. I have never experienced this before. As such, with this demand, any inducements/discounts for hotels in Iceland are long gone. Quite honestly, if you want to visit Iceland this summer, it it difficult to find availability in Reykjavik, because so many tourists are comming.

Iceland has never been inexpensive, but with exchange rate difference, it seems that everyone wants to visit Iceland this summer. Not that Iceland is cheap, it is not. It is now more affordable than before.

In a way, you answered your own question when you stated:

It seems Iceland, or at least perhaps Reykjavik itself is expensive, and that the only difference is that the exchange rate is better than it was a year ago.

Iceland is a fantastic place, and money well spent for travel, but it is not inexpensive. It just is less expensive than before.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How expensive is Iceland?

Hotels are not cheap, as I found when booking for early September, but far less expensive than previous years when the cost stopped me visiting. Suppose what price you were expecting.

I've spent a lot of time finding the hotels I want, then finding the hotel & booking firms are generally very similar priced, but there are exceptions. Around Reykjavik Activehotels.com seem to have some good prices compared to the competition. Double rooms from £53 to £90 in 10 hotels/guesthouses/b&bs. There is availability for mid June weekend - don't know your exact dates.

http://www.activehotels.com/hotel/location/en/iceland?subid=PPCGO1branden-T*F5ZK49RNCn*7R75w4YiQS831059530

Flight prices are very dependent on the day you fly. I'm using Manchester (only Icelandair) and per person varies from £100 to £350 per flight. Going Fri and return Mon for 2 people £400, which is not bad. London should be less.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How expensive is Iceland?

Well, Icelandair have been bombarding me with offers for months.

One I remember - 3 nights in the Hilton Nordica, incluuding UK flights = £250!!!

2 years ago, the flights OR the hotel would have cost at least that.

That was february/March. As said, there is no surplus of hotels in the summer, so few if any discounts, especially in the city.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How expensive is Iceland?

I'm with you, peter, Icelandair never leave me alone ... offers appear in my email inbox at least once a week.

And after having been away for four years, it's far past time I return to Iceland, so a week in June is pencilled in.

From what I've read, prices are down from what they've been in the past. I remember my first trip, in either 1999 or 2000, when a very modest breakfast at a RKV cafe cost the ISK equivalent of just under $CDN20 - without a cup of delicious Icelandic coffee.

Having checked hotel and B&B prices for June, they're not as high as I'd expected, and air fare with FI (LHR-KEF) isn't considerably higher than in 2005.

The prices are what they are; there are ways to save a few pence but still have a brilliant holiday.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How expensive is Iceland?

Thank you to all contributors for your comments, reality check and web links (which I am actively following up). I haven't given up on Iceland but I may need to save up a little longer before I can make it there as clearly there is so much to see and do, not just in Reykjavik but around the whole island. We shall see. I may still get there in June. Watch this space for more questions ....

SWT

Newcastle
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How expensive is Iceland?

Hi, we've just got back.

We flew Iceland Express from Stanstead (will be Gatwick in May I think) and that was much cheaper than Icelandair. (we were flying during the Easter period). The flights were fine- just no free food or drink on them.

Our car hire and hotels and breakfasts were booked in advance (with Discover the World).

Spending money for the week we probably spent about £600 including the car insurance upgrade, petrol, entrance fees and food.

We changed £100 into cash at the airport in a cashpoint (there was also a bureau de change open for the late night flight) and the rest was spent on credit and debit cards. We were getting between 180 and 190 isk per £.

BEFORE YOU GO< CHECK YOUR CARD TRANSACTION FEES AND COMMISSION. If they are high, withdraw more cash and use that.

We were eating frugally, and only had 2 good evening meals. Otherwise it was around £5 for a set combo at the Blue Lagoon, £5 or £6 at KFC, £6 to £10 for room service snacks at the Ranga.

We had calculated that at 180isk per £, 900isk = £5

The most expensive thing we did was the whale watching trip (42euros with vouchers). They insist on payment in euros.

Other entrance fees were the Blue Lagoon (cheap), the folk museaum at Skogar. Geysir, the waterfalls and Gullfoss are all free.

Parking in Reykjavic cost 80 isk per hour between 10 and 6 in a grade 2 car park.

7. Re: How expensive is Iceland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 05:23