We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car for a day

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car for a day

Got a spare day on out trip to Reyjkavik.

Booked a nothern lights and golden circle tour but just wondering if its worth renting a car for the day?

Any advice on where to go??

Also how much is a tank of petrol going to cost (roughly for a 1.2 litre car). Just trying to work out costs of doing this as I need to bring the car back with a full tank.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car for a day

How many days are you in Iceland for and what's your rough itinerary?

If you don't have much time in Reykjavik, I'd recommend spending the day in the city.

If you already have time set aside for exploring Reykjavik, drive down to Vik and back. There's a folk museum in Skogar (turf houses), a couple nice waterfalls and the black beach in Vik. There's some great places to stop and take pictures along the road. It's a nice, easy drive as well.

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car for a day

Hi, thanks for your help

My itinerary is this (roughly)

Arrive 30th January at 4pm - Go to Blue Lagoon on the way to Reykjavik

31st January - Explore the city - Are most things open on a Sunday?

- Nothern Lights Tour

1st February - Golden Circle Tour

2nd February - Possible day of using the car

3rd February - Leave at 8am

That drive sounds pretty good and just what I was looking for. Are all those places quite close to each other once I get to the destination?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car for a day

Looks like a great itinerary.

I don't recall too much being open on Sunday. On the Sunday I was in Reykjavik, I went out for breakfast at Tivoli, visited Hallgrimskirkja, bought some groceries (as I was heading out on the Ring Road the next day), went swimming at Laugerdalslaug and ate dinner at Icelandic Fish & Chips. In the evening, we borrowed a DVD from our hotel and relaxed at night as it had been raining on and off all day.

A few stores were open and there's the flea market to visit as well. You could walk around the harbour and see the Sun Voyager monument as well so you can easily fill a Sunday with stuff to do.

If you want to do some serious shopping, I would rent the car on the 31st and spend time in Reykjavik on the 2nd when more stores are open.

The sites to see on the way to Vik are the Skogar Folk Museum, Skogarfoss, Seljalandsfoss and the village of Vik. You could spend about 6 hours (including stops) driving to Vik and the drive back would take about 2 hours. They are all close to each other...the sites are closer to Vik than Reykjavik. I didn't stop at the museum as it was pouring rain at the time but the two waterfalls are visible from the road so you'll see them coming and know when to turn off the road. The black beach and sea stacks in Vik are right behind the N1 gas station, which is on the main road. The N1 station has a restaurant if you're hungry...the food is okay but the view is incredible.

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car for a day

Sounds excellent,

Hopefully I could fit all that in...just concious of the lack of daylight around February but I should be able to do that in a day right??

Just been looking at those places came across the Myrdalsjokull Glacier. Is that near this area as well?? Would love to see that.

Do you know roughly how much a tank of petrol costs and can you recommend any good car rental firms?

Thanks a lot for your help

Really appreciate it

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car for a day

By late January , the sun is rising around 10am and setting just after 5pm.

If you head out around 9am, you could be at the sights for sunrise. You could definitely see everything while there's daylight. Note that the folk museum opens at 11am in the winter.

As for Mýrdalsjökull, I know there's dog sledding, glacier walks and snowmobiling in the area. I'm not sure what's running in the winter though.

www.dogsledding.is

www.nat.is/Sofn/eyjafjoll_skogar_folks.htm

I've never used this company and don't know much about them but you can see some of the activities available -

http://www.adventures.is/WinterTours/

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car for a day

Oh, cflavoured, I am shocked.

Can it be, that you missed Solheimajokull glacier (google images), and Reynisfjara beach (google images) ??, the most awesome sites on the classic ,,South shore tour"

A ,,normal" south shore tour takes 10 hours.

A normal car, has about 40 - 50 liter tank, and the price is around one pound for the liter. The distance on a south shore tour is about 450 Km. and a 1.2 liter car uses about 6 - 7 liters per 100 Km. (estimate)

Don´t let people that do not know what they´re talking about, scare you with ,,winter darkness". You´ll have 10 hours of daylight in beginning of February: timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html… and even more, if the ground is covered with snow.

B-)

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car for a day

Thanks to both of you!!

This is definately a trip I fancy doing now!!

Just need to find out how to drive to these places..will maps be avaiable etc??

Also do you reckon I will need gravel protection when renting a car??

Been looking at a few car rental companies:

Reykjavik Rent A Car

Car Rental SS

Atak

CheapJeep Car Rental

The latter has the best price for a car I want but they have said they do not offer gravel protection, possibly giving the reason why they are cheaper.

Be great for these final pieces of information!

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car for a day

Sorry icelandicguide... normally I have one of my Iceland maps with me when giving directions and making suggestions but I can't find it. I mentioned the black beach in Vik in my first response...yes, the name of it is Reynisfjara beach.

If I made a mistake about the sunlight, I apologize but timeanddate.com does say about 10am for sunrise and 5pm for sunset.

Maps are available around Reykjavik in tourist shops and bookstores. I'd wait until you get there and find one that you like. I know some specifically focus on the south so you could just buy one of those.

I didn't have gravel insurance and I doubt you need it for seeing the main sites on the South Coast. You'll be on paved roads almost the entire time. It's a risk though...like all insurance is.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car for a day

You´re right, but it also says: Nautical twilights starts around eight and ends around seven, and we´re talking about the south shore.

There is never twenty-four hour sunlight in south Iceland, but we still have three months of daylight, wonder why ?

But I am not going to argue with anyone, it is as it is !!

B-)

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car for a day

Well I appreciate the help you both have given me :D

After quite a lot of research and emails sent and recieved Im going to rent a compact car from CheapJeep Car Rental Company. They seem to offer good prices!!!

Hopefully everything will run smoothly!