We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern lights from Reykjavik

London
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Northern lights from Reykjavik

My friend and I are in Reykjavik from Feb 19th-24th and would love, love, love to see the northern lights. I understand it is weather dependent, but could anyone recommend a company who do nice laid back small group tours? I'm not keen on being shuttled in a coach to 1 location, and am more interested in a smaller group who are willing to go to a different location if necessary. I would normally take a back packer type tour, but find recommendations are always helpful. thank you!

10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern lights from Reykjavik

I would recommend http://www.volcanotours.is who takes only a few passengers or from 2-6. I hope the weather will be nice for you!

You can also see the forcast for the northern lights on gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Default.asp

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern lights from Reykjavik

The northern light tours are offered by many companies.

The big bus companies are re.is/DayTours/… and www.allrahanda.is/Tours.aspx… they operate in big buses (up to 60 people on the bus) and are not very flexible in my opinion.

The big buses are the cheapest, around 4500 Isk. per person.

Then there are the small bus companies like gotraveliceland.is/eng/catalog/tour35.html and www.icelandhorizon.is/Excursions.aspx… They operate smaller buses, (up to 15 people on the bus), and are more laid back and flexible. The price with these companies is around the same as with the big ones.

Then there are superjeep companies, (with up to six people on the vehicle, or even a private tour) www.superjeep.is/excursions.aspx?id=EXC08 and icelandrovers.is/day-tours/…default.aspx These tours are more expensive 12000 - 15000 Isk per person. but they are way more successful than the big buses, and more flexible and there is always satisfaction after a superjeep tour. IMHO they are the best !

B-)

Edited: 26 January 2010, 12:14
Randolph, NJ
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern lights from Reykjavik

I am planning to go to Reykjavik in the first week of March and am dying to see the northern lights. Do I need to travel north to have a better chance at seeing it or is it okay to make short trips from Reykjavik?

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern lights from Reykjavik

It depends on the weather if you can see it in Reykjavik or not.

You would have to change your schedule on arrival to have the best chance of seeing the lights. Or just bet on one spot before hand and stick with it and hope for the best :)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern lights from Reykjavik

came back on 5th feb we first saw the lights on our airport transfer to our hotel at 12.00am not a brilliant display but we could say we saw them then on the 2nd feb went with iceland excursions quite a big coach but they were on there phones all the while with other operaters so they new where to go when we finally stopped we could see them a little bit but then after about an hour the sky suddenly lit up and we had the best display they had seen in weeks fantastic tried again later in the week nothing even when we stayed 1 night on the national park it was to cloudy i think we just got lucky you just have to persevere and pray

deb

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern lights from Reykjavik

hi i too went to see northern lights on 2nd feb,i must have been on the same bus as you,WOW...how lucky were we!!!,it was truly amazing,did you have the guide who took the photos with his own camera?,on the bus going back he asked if anybody wanted to leave their email address and he would send them to us,true to his word when i got home they were in my inbox,they look amazing...if you didnt give him your email address and you want to see them drop me a PM and i will send them to you.

7. Re: Northern lights from Reykjavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 05:15