We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

world of my own
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

I've been looking at Iceland Air travel packages off and on for quite a while (get their emails) and have read some of the reviews for the hotels they use for their budget packages - hilton and loftleidir hotels. It sounds like these hotels are not centrally located (since they offer shuttle buses). I haven't looked at many other hotels, I was curious if there a general consensus that better deals can be had than booking these air + hotel package deals through Iceland Air? I know some of the advertised packages will throw in a free tour or airport transfer with the Blue Lagoon stop too. Just curious what others have concluded through their research if anything.

Thanks!

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

I've booked an Icelandair package - has Northern Lights tour included. Staying at Hotel Leifur Eriksson - which is pretty central - well to shops!!!! Also booked airport tranfer (Flybus+) through them and a Reykjavik tour. Other tours were available - but found this was best price / package I could get - had to play about with dates to get best deal tho

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

I have always found the Icelandair packages to be very keenly priced for a 3 night break in the winter. The deals change all the time, we have booked 3 nights in March staying at the Hilton. As we hire a car it is well situated for us. Have also stayed at Leifur Eriksson which is very good. Hotel Cabin is very much a budget hotel unless you upgrade your room. The Hilton & Loftleidir are not budget hotels.

I have not found booking direct with hotels to be cheaper. Pricing the hotel and Northern Lights tour means our flight is very cheap, much cheaper than you could book on their web site.

Have a great trip it is a fantatic country, I am totally hooked on it.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 22:59
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

I booked on my own after realizing the hotels in the Icelandair packages weren't in the city. I was able to get airfare out of Boston and 3 nights hotel for $1288 in March for 2 people.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

Just noticed that you said you hire a car when you go. Can you recommend a car hire company? Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

I've compared the Icelandair package with handpicking my own before I decided to book everything myself, and I managed to beat the package price even include all the tours booked independently, as Hilton had a 50% off offer (may still on offer). The benefit of that is I do not have to stick with a tour operator for those tours included in those packages, I personally prefer a small group, which is better for photo taking and more flexible.

world of my own
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

Thanks for the insight. I have tinkered with dates for the Iceland Air packages and know they can vary--and go up quickly after they release a new promotion as they seem to be popular. Sounds like it's somewhat of a toss up and could require a bit of work to build your own and come up with a comparable or better price..

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

Hi!

I looked at the Icelandair deals as well and although they were quite reasonable, I wasn't keen that the hotels were a bit further out so i ended up booking with expedia after looking at some of the hotel comparison sites etc and after discussion with folk on here hv decided to book a Northern lights tour through superjeep (jus waiting for them to confirm the dates) as well as booking the flybus+ for transfers. This all seems to be working out about roughly the same as the icelandair deal i was looking at and hv even got an upgraded room in Centerhotel Thingholt. You're defo right to search about.

world of my own
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

Thanks neighbor. :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
274 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

I got the recent offering from Icelandair via the tourist board's elist. My 2 friends and I were stunned at how in expensive a week in Reyjavik from Seattle worked out, including 6 nights hotel, flights and circle tour:

$860 share twin

$1100 single

We opted for the Hilton, after reading that the other hotel might be still renovating its reception area. We'll post a follow-up after we get back in late March.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Icelandair pkg deal or book your own?

Hi,

The hotels in theese deals are first class hotels and only 15 to 20 minutes walk from the downtown area.

If you want to have the freedom of choosing tour operators you should not take the pkg deal.

Kind regards,

Gunnsi Guide at Season Tours.