We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

contact lenses

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
contact lenses

Wondering if anyone has experience with how well contact lenses do while out in the cold. I usually only wear them indoors, like if I'm going to a movie or in a dance class. Had planned on wearing them for northern lights & horse back riding, but don't know if they will be terribly uncomfortable in freezing weather and / or windy conditions.

They are the soft permeable kind.

I have glasses I could bring as well, but they really bother me for depth perception & might not be the best to wear while horse back riding.

For the northern lights, do people generally wait inside the bus or jeep where it is warm, until the lights appear?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: contact lenses

Iceland has been about 40 degrees warmer than Minnesota this winter.There are 10's of thousands of people who wear contacts with no problems,blowing volcanic ash may pose a problem if it appears in Iceland though.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: contact lenses

Thanks, I've never been to Minnesota except for a brief layover in the airport.

So I take it you do fine wearing your contacts outside in the winter?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: contact lenses

I wear contact lenses almost every day, in all weather condition. Soft lenses from Focus. Have also used Dailies. Never had any problems with them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: contact lenses

Thanks, Northice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: contact lenses

Your contact lenses should not bother you in the cold. It gets down below freezing where I live and I have never had an issue. The wind may bother you but just don't look into the wind and you should be okay. If your eyes get dry, use rewetting drops/

If you are planning to wear your contacts for periods of much longer than you usually wear them I would make sure to have your glasses on hand and a contact lenses case filled with saline in case something happens and you need to take them out, and also have some rewetting drops handy in case you get a speck in your eye and just need some drops.

If they get uncomfortable (due to you wearing them longer than usual, probably won't happen due to cold) you would really do well to have some rewetting drops on hand. Most of the time you can just use the drops and be fine and not need to remove them.

Also, you can fly with a full bottle of contact lense solution on carry-on if you need to.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: contact lenses

Thank you, I'll be sure to bring glasses too & eye drops.

7. Re: contact lenses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 23:35
NYC
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: contact lenses

I've worn contacts in 20 below on Alaska's north slope and in the Arctic Sea. I wouldn't worry too much about Iceland.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: contact lenses

Been a contact lense wearer for 40+years. I do wear sunglasses a lot. That could help.

Edited: 14 June 2011, 22:06
paris
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: contact lenses

No problems with my contacts, but I would recommend you bring sunglasses, as much for keeping the wind out of your eyes as the sun.