We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dorset England
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

Arrived at Keflavik airport and went to buy wine at duty free and exchange money (both tips picked up on here!!)

We picked up our hire 4x4 and set off for Hotel Ranga that was to be our home for the next 4 nights.

I was amazed by the beautiful scenery on the drive, and it started to snow

A 10 foot tall polar bear greeted us on our arrival and we were efficiently registered. Our room was fine, but overlooked the car park, although this turned out to be OK as the Northern lights appeared on this side of the hotel, so we could wait for them in our room.

We were lucky enough to see them on two nights of our stay

Next morning we set off in the snow to drive down the coast to Vik, stopping to admire the Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss waterfalls that were enhance by the snow. By the time we reached Vik the snow had turned to driving rain and it was very windy, so we didn't see it at it's best!

That night we had an amazing meal in the hotel restaraunt and a soak in the hot tub under the stars when the weather cleared

Next day we did the Golden Circle Tour and again hit the snow when we got to Selfoss. We were very glad we had a 4x4!!

We drove to the almost deserted Þingvellir plains, located on the north Atlantic rift that splits Iceland between the North American and Eurasian continents.

Thanks to the directions from the lady in the cafe we found a partly frozen waterfall cascading over the edge of the snow covered North American tectonic plate - a truely magical sight and the highlight of the trip for me

We saw the geysirs and then the waterfall at Gullfoss which was incredibly beautiful in the snow

The next day we drove around the Þjórsá river area and saw more waterfalls, the most notable being Hjálparfoss where there are amazing basalt rock formations and stunning flora. We drove through stunning barren lava fields

On our way back to the airport we did the obligatory Blue Lagoon trip

I always say I don't want to revisit a holiday destination as there is so much world to see - but I have to make an exception for iceland - there is just so much we didn't see on this trip

We went in the winter hoping to see the Northern Lights and I was delighted that they put in an appearance, now I would love to visit in summmer, which I feel would be a whole new experience.

Many thanks to the contributors to this forum from whom I gained much helpful advice when planning this trip

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

Thanks for posting this report!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

Thanks for this report, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to going in May.

Syracuse
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

Thanks for this great report! So exciting to read it! I leave next week and am really getting excited. :)

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

Thanks! Vey insightful!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

thanks for the report! We are going soon and we are so excited!

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

Thanks for posting your report. I am planning a similar trip. Did you find the GPS useful to get around or did you use roadsigns and maps?

Dorset England
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

We used a detailed road map, which was absolutely fine - it would be quite hard to get lost I think - there are also good and plentiful road signs, including a useful one to show place of interest.

Have a great time (I'm sure you will)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

Hi,

Thank you for the trip report.

Iceland is beautiful in the snow and when the waterfalls are frozen. In the summer time it is just like another country but just as beautiful. Seeing the Glaciers beside green vegetation and black lava structures covered with moss.

It is well worth visiting again :-)

Kind regards,

Gunnsi Guide at Season Tours

9. Re: Trip report 28th Feb to 4th March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 14:16