We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dog sledding

Ilkeston, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
dog sledding

Can anyone recommend a dog sledding tour in Iceland for a tour on Sat 21st Jan? www.dogsledding.is seem to be the only place offering tours and they aren't available that weekend.

Thanks

Louise

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dog sledding

We're going to Iceland in November and I'm researching dog sledding tour in Iceland as well. Then I happened to notice the website you referred to says "The next competition will be at Akureyri the weekend of the 20th and 21sh of January." I guess all dog sledding companies are going to be in that competition so the tour will be probably not available then....

Good luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Akureyri
Akureyri
Northeast Region, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,433 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dog sledding

To my knowledge, there is only one dogsledding company in Iceland. There might be more, but I have not heard of them. There are few owners of sleigh dogs (hobby ), and the competition is among them, not like companies competing against each other.

Dogsledding is NOT and Icelandic thing, and the dogsledding in Iceland is about as authentic as dogsledding in New York or Paris !

Dogsledding is a Greenland thing, or even Canadian or Alaskan, but definetly not Icelandic. There is not even enough snow here most of the time, so it is done with charts on the road !

If you want to try authentic Icelandic way of travel with use of animals, you should try horseback riding, that is the authentic way of traveling in winter.

Dogsledding is a good fun and popular amongst tourists, and hopefully you find something for you to do on your weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,143 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
3. Re: dog sledding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 06:17