We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two day Layover in Iceland?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland, oh
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Two day Layover in Iceland?

Hello,

I know that I am counting on the kindness of strangers and I really appreciate any help you all could offer. I feel like shouting, Trip Advisor! Don't Fail Me Now! as I type. : )

I need some advice to plan a trip to Iceland at the end of June 2012. We are a family of five traveling back to the States after a year in Norway. Because of shipping costs, all our possessions will be traveling with us as checked luggage. That means ten large duffel bags.

I'd like to plan a one or two day layover in Iceland to do the Golden Circle and visit the Blue Lagoon, but I don't want to break the budget and hauling the bags around is a monster pain in the neck.

For instance, I can't just rent a car at the airport. Between the five of us and the luggage, we won't fit in anything but a bus.

Should I give up on the idea of seeing Reykjavik and the Golden Circle and just plan for a one day layover and a trip to the Blue Lagoon? I know I can check my luggage with one of the BL excursion trips.

Is there a safe place to check luggage for several days at Keflavik? Is it possible to get a shuttle to a hotel to dump the luggage and get a rental car from there? Do you have any other suggestions on how to get from a hotel to the BL and back to the hotel if we decide not to rent a car?

Can anyone recommend a budget hotel that has a no-frills restaurant nearby?

Any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two day Layover in Iceland?

Why not write or even better CALL the airport: kefairport@kefairport.is | Phone: +354 425 6000 and just ask them if they have a luggage storage facility there, or if some accommodation could be made? Or make a call to the hotel you will stay with and explain the situation so they can send a shuttle just for your family or make some other arrangements. I don't think TripAdvisor is going to be able to directly help you sort this one out.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
117 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two day Layover in Iceland?

As I recall, I did see a sign for Luggage storage at KEF...near the car rental desks (that's been about a year and half ago). Previous poster makes a great suggestion - just call the airport and ask.

As for "shuttles," there really aren't shuttles between KEF and Reykjavik. There is the "FlyBus." It gets rav marks here on TripAdvisor and they advertise their services like crazy. Our experience was...well...disappointing. Hate to say it, but I don't recommend the FlyBus (plus, it is NOT direct to your hotel - so you'll be transferring bags a few times).

The taxis in Iceland are extremely expensive, but when you figure the hassle of the FlyBus, probably worth it. Also, it would be worth your time to check with the car rental companies. There's a Hertz desk at KEF and I remember they rented some larger vehicles (so,if you can store some bags, that might ultimately be cheaper for you).

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two day Layover in Iceland?

There is no problem getting a private shuttle between airport and hotel.

www.shuttleservice.is can take care of all your things, and can keep your luggage for you in a safe place.

Another possibility is www.privatetours.is for the same private service.

And let´s not forget www.gti.is which also has a good reputation for being a good solid operator.

Just e-mail them and get a quotation.

cleveland, oh
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two day Layover in Iceland?

Kyle10014, JATB, Icelandicguide,

Thank you all very much for taking time to answer. I really appreciate it. I'll check out the shuttle services and give the airport a call.

Happy New Year.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
716 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two day Layover in Iceland?

You might also at least try a quote from one of the car rental companies that rents older, used cars. Maybe City Car Rental or SadCars would rent you a big van or SUV at a bargain rate? Worth a try, if you think your group could fit in the very largest rental.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two day Layover in Iceland?

Why not do a 2 day stopover - take the shuttle bus with luggage to your hotel. Dump the bags & hire a car for 5 people from town. Self drive to the Golden Circle for a day trip & do a half day at the Blue Lagoon the next day.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189970-d261…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g608874-d207…

or if you don't want to drive there are numerous tours which do the above & can easily be organized from your hotel.

7. Re: Two day Layover in Iceland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:27