We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING: Icelandair

Oregon coast
Level Contributor
561 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING: Icelandair

OK, Icelandair is a very nice airline ... friendly staff, new planes, free baggage check. BUT ... in Jan & Feb they are featuring a "viking feast" option for one of the meals available (you have to pay for all your food in economy). Being adventurous we decided to try this. It was an assortment of meats and fish items with a small serving of some undetermined mashed-up fruit. The best thing on the tray was the pickled herring ... that will give you some idea of how bad this was! It mean - inedible! The meats looked like slices of sausage but were really just kind of compressed ... something! ... with no seasoning or flavoring at all. There was some kind of stinky dried fish which crumbled into flakes if you tried to tear off a piece. The best thing was 2 small slices of good brown bread with that yummy Icelandic butter ... but hardly worth the 12 euros this cost. There was a large Icelandic donut served with it - well, really, THIS was the best thing.

OK ... they warned us ... Viking food. I'm just warning YOU! :)

East Anglia
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

I also think Icelandair are wonderful. In 2010 with the volcanic ash cloud Keflavik airport was closed and our flight was cancelled but there was someone there to help us and book us on the next flight. We stayed an extra 2 days and loved it.

Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

I like Icelandair as well although the stewardesses hardly go the extra mile like some do on other airlines. On my 6 hour flight from Iceland my entertainment monitor was broken and the stewardess didn't even fain sympathy or offer suggestions or a seat change. On my flight to Iceland, the in-magazine music selection for Sigur Ros did not match the actually range of selection being offered on-board my flight and the stewardess kind of just shrugged when I asked her for assistance with tracking down the advertised selection, lest the error was mine. She told me that it should be there and that I should just keep pushing the buttons. The album preview was not there.

Woking
Level Contributor
539 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

I think your topic heading is very unfair and the subject of your topic hardly worth writing about. However, it was your choice to buy it and your own ignorance of what was on your plate did not need the disrespectful and disparaging way you then wrote and described your experience. Your mistake and something you should just have put down to one of life's experiences.

Oregon coast
Level Contributor
561 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

I hope everyone realizes I was being facetious with this post and if I were not a moderately adventurous traveler I would not even have tried the strange food!

We were very well treated by Icelandair.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

Actually we don't mind paying for our food in flight on Iceland air. Their fares to Europe really beat out all other airlines. Besides we got a free stopover in Iceland which is what we have already wanted to do in any case. As for the food in Iceland, we plan on eating all the local specialties. That's part of the fun when visiting a new country. I can't wait to see this beautiful place in August.

Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

We will be flying home to Toronto, Canada with Icelandair in May and I am very concerned about it. I have tried numerous times by telephone to ask a few questions. Have never experienced such rude, non-customer service and disinterest ever, than I have just been through with the people on the telephone. I called the number for the Icelandair Canadian office and they definitely were not Canadian. I cross my fingers that the flight will be OK. The main question I had was if I could upgrade from Economy Class for the flight home (the first portion of the flight is from Copenhagen to Reykjavik so no change needed). I understand there would be a cost however no assistance, interest or any kind of customer service was provided. I gave up!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

What was the problem? Did you get through to the customer service but they were unable to give you a firm answer? This seems like something they should be able to sort out quickly by either declining your request or making the changes.

Have you tried emailing them? icelandair.ca/information/…

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

Oscarweenie, I also don't understand your post. If you got through to them 'several' times to ask questions, what was the answer to your main question? Did they say 'I don't know' or 'I won't tell you'? I just spoke to them yesterday and they were very helpful. I also made my reservation over the phone because their website was acting up, and they waived the fee and took care of everything with efficiency and friendliness.

Perhaps it is a cultural difference. I know people who hear an accent and part of their brain turns off and they get defensive and irritated.

Kitchener, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

Oscarweenie, I have spoken with the customer service staff a few times in regard to our flights in May. I was very happy with their responses and the helpful attitudes.

Sorry to hear of your experience. When dealing with call centres(with in their case I believe is located in Iceland, you might try asking to have the call escalated to the next level up. Tell the person you are speaking with that their response is not satisfactory. Make notes of the name of the person you are speaking with. These are just general suggestions for dealing with call centres, which is the way of the world until, (shudder) costs eliminate them and we are dealing with email alone....

Hope you are able to enjopy your vacation .

Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: WARNING: Icelandair

I didn't get responses all at, just silence and the sound of keying and the person who was suppose to be speaking to me, off talking in another language to someone else. After several attempts to get their attention, finally did, somewhat, and that is when they were of no assistance.

Happy for the people that have had good or great experiences, good for you!!! Am sharing this information like other people share information in the hopes that it can be rectified or others are aware or can offer constructive suggestions/comments. As for your last comment, "Perhaps it is a cultural difference. I know people who hear an accent and part of their brain turns off and they get defensive and irritated" -- hightly presumptuous of you and even though it doesn't warrant a response I will give it -- this was so not the case!!! I work with people from all over the world. I tried the email route and since I could not understand or have the person's attention forany length of time I could not get their name and is was "suppose" to be the Canadian office I was calling.

Anyway off my soapbox.

If there are positive suggestions or information which could assist me in getting some service it would be very much appreciated.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 18:14