We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Circle...or off the beaten path

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Golden Circle...or off the beaten path

My friend and I are renting a car for the day. I can not decice whether to drive the Golden Circle or simply drive without a destination in mind. Just head in a random direction...to really explore the country. Of course we would be staying on roads, and will be in a 4X4 vehicle.

Can anyone with experience give me their recommendations??

Also, if we stumble across a hidden hot spring...would we be permitted to indulge and swim without offending anyone?

Kind Regards,

Tom

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Circle...or off the beaten path

ps. I neglected to mention....our car will have GPS Navigation =)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Circle...or off the beaten path

It depends on what you mean by off the beaten path. Are you referring to the highland/interiour, or simply the country roads. In any case, the Golden circle includes the very highlights of THAT area, so if you're planning on driving around in the south, in a single day, returning back to Reykjavik the same day - then I'd stick to the Golden Circle sights. Why? Because you'll see an active geyser, a huge waterfall (Gullfoss), an volcanic crater (Kerid) and Thingvellir, all of which you might miss if you'd simply be driving somewhere with no destination in mind. The way I see it, this is how you get the best value out of your rental car.

I'll go as far as to say that you won't find a hidden hot spring without knowing where to look.

There is one thing you could do, that includes all of the above, the Golden circle, some interiour driving (easy with a 4x4 with no river crossings), and a soak in a natural hot pool (not hidden though...) It does involve quite a lot of driving and requires you to start the day early. You'd start off by driving past Thingvellir, then Geysir, then Gullfoss, then you continue on road 35 (used to be F35) into the interiour. From Gullfoss waterfall this road will take you ca 90km on quite rough gravel road, into the highlands to Hveravellir. See: http://www.hveravellir.is/english.html You'd have to backtrack the #35, but once you're back from the highlands you'll be able to take a different route back to Reykjavik than in the morning.

This is just one idea.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Circle...or off the beaten path

Thanks for the advice. You're right and it makes sense. The Golden Circle is popular for that very reason. So that's what we're going to do.

4. Re: Golden Circle...or off the beaten path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:43