We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

48 hours in Reykjavik?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
48 hours in Reykjavik?

My daughter and friend have 48 hours in Reykjavik in September,

Please could you tell me where they should stay on a budget?

and what they can do in that time?

They are keen to do the northern lights and a waterfall but I am unsure if they have time for either.

They arrive in early in the morning and leave early 2 days later.

Your knowledgable help would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Malta
Level Contributor
341 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 48 hours in Reykjavik?

The hostels would probably be the cheaper options. There are a few musuems and Videy island that are of interest. Check out The Reykjavik welcome card which lists most of the main attractions for one price.

Mentioned in this post
Videy Island
Videy Island
317 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 48 hours in Reykjavik?

There is plenty to do in September. The Golden circle comes to mind, it´s the essential ,,Iceland tour" The tour can be done with a ,,big bus" company like www.allrahanda.is and www.re.is or with a ,,small bus" company, like www.gti.is or with a Super jeep, which is the ultimate fun www.superjeep.is Of course there are different prices, but quality and fun is in direct contact with the price.

And a day in the city is good as well.

She should book up for Northern lights tour on her first night, that way she has another chance, if there is a ,,no show" on her first.

Like before, there are many different tour operators, for example those mentioned above.

For a good, but low priced accommodation, I recommend downtown hostel, right in the center: www.hostel.is/Hostels/Reykjavikdowntown/

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
536 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 48 hours in Reykjavik?

Thank you for the heads up on the Welcome card, it certasinly looks like the place to go.

I have booked them into the 4th Floor. here's hoping !

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 48 hours in Reykjavik?

I now have put Iceland on my "To do " list.

It looks amazing!

Many thanks for your help guys.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
San Diego...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 48 hours in Reykjavik?

I just returned from a trip to Reykjavik and we went with Reykjavik excursions for our tours.

Our plane arrived in keflavik airport at about 4 am so we had to wait a bit but eventually we were picked up and brought directly by bus to the blue lagoon spa, which opened at 10 am. It was completely worth the wait and a genius move, if I must say myself. We had been in airports and airplanes all day and 10 seconds after dipping into the lagoon, I seriously felt like I was in heaven!!!

It is an amazing bonding experience and a great way to get to know the beauty that Reykjaviks nature has to offer. The restaurant there is really delicious too!

We also did the golden circle direct tour, 5 hrs vs the 8 hrs it usually takes. Shorter stops but we had a sunny day so we had so much to see.

I also recommend the free walking tour offered by Goecco.com. They meet at 1 pm at elding whale watching. goecco.com/Index/…

The tour is wonderful introduction to Icelandic history and culture and character!!

If you have at other questions, I can go on and on.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Goecco
Goecco
869 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 48 hours in Reykjavik?

@Andrea - we are looking at the Goecco tour - We have three girls (6.8.11 yrs) - will they enjoy this tour? THANKS! We have 6 days until we leave!

Mentioned in this post
Goecco
Goecco
869 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
7. Re: 48 hours in Reykjavik?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:16