We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommened places to eat?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Recommened places to eat?

Hello,

My wife and I will be travailing Reykjavik Iceland August 25th - 9/1st. We have all of our activities planned except for northern lights (Might be too early in the year?) and now we want to make a list of places we MUST eat at.

We are staying at Centerhotel Arnarhvoll so places within walking distance would be awesome.

This is my 2nd trip to Reykjavik and this will be my wife's 1st trip. I know a few places I went too but want to get some other peoples opinions before we start planning it all out.

Regards,

Andy

Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommened places to eat?

Hi there! My fiancée and I are just finishing our first trip to Iceland. We have been here eight days and we unfortunately leave tomorrow. We had the time of our lives!

Where we ate in Reykjavik:

- Icelandic Fish & Chips - Excellent fried fish, comes with potatoes (not exactly chips/fries)

- Baejarins Beztu Pylsur - The best hot dog I've ever eaten. This is a small stand on a city street.

- Laundromat Cafe - Funky eatery downtown. I had the Dirty Bruch which was quite good and well priced.

- Caruso - Solid Italian restaurant.

- Laekjarbrekka - Traditional Icelandic restaurant. They offer a platter of tastings of fermented shark, whale, and puffin if you want to try. Excellent fish and lamb dishes.

Best of luck!

Edited: 18 July 2012, 16:22
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommened places to eat?

Thanks for the reply. I already had Icelandic Fish & Chips and Baejarins Beztu Pylsur based on my past visit.

The Laundromat Cafe looks like a funky little place. Might have to go scope that place out.

Thanks!

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommened places to eat?

I 2nd that recommendation for Caruso above and also recommend the Falkinn Bistro which was also very good.

London
Level Contributor
869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommened places to eat?

For lunch - I'd also reccomend the lobster soup at Saegreifinn (the Sea Baron). Very cheap and delicious!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommened places to eat?

The reviews on Falkinn Bistro are great. Wish they had a website.

Are there any bakery's worth hunting down? Both my wife and I have huge liking for sweets.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommened places to eat?

I tried Hofnin Restaurant last week and would recommend it for a great view of the Old Harbour and good food, which is nicely presented. You would probably need to book a table as it is quite small.

I also tried Geysir bistro, which was excellent, with a good range of dishes and efficient service.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommened places to eat?

Falkinn Bistro's Web site http://www.falcon.is/

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommened places to eat?

Thank you. These places look great. I am mapping out trip now..haha

A little change of subject but what are some places you would recommend for night life? We are hoping to go out Thursday or Friday to experience Iceland nightlife to the early morning :)

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommened places to eat?

The food on the entire island is surprisingly delicious--even in very small villages. If you want great fellowship and a gourmet sampling of foods,in a private home, I strongly recommend you take Tyffi's culinary tour thru Seaons Tours.Tyffi picks you up at your hotel, gives you a great tour of the area while shopping for the meal at a cheese shop, fishmonger, meat market, liquour store, and bakery before returning to his home where he cooks the meal ;whlle you watch in the kitchen. Tyffi formerly owned the Lobster Restaurant and is a great and efficient chef. He served us a 5 course meal including soup, appetizers of whale blubber, shark, a fish course with lobster, salmon, a meat course of horse, lamb with local fresh vegetables, an[assortment of desserts, and drinks. After this meal, we felt we had experienced all the Icelandic delicacies while enjoying the fellowship of Tyffi, his wife, and 2 other guests. A great meal and fun day!!

As for bakeries, we were not impressed. It seems Icelanders really like the large donut,and coffee, but bakeries seem more like small grocery stores than we have seen in any other country.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommened places to eat?

I third Caruso, the food was excellent and great location on Laugevegur Street. There is a famous hot dog stand that is always packed behind the main tourist office, if you like upscale hot dogs and there is a Tapas bar that serves some of the best and freshest seafood I had while in Iceland. I can't remember the name of it but it is very close to the main tourist office too and behind a store called Lava going in the direction of the harbor. If I can find the name I will re-post. I had puffin, whale, arctic char, monkfish and lamb. It was really good and well worth trying to find.