We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day visit to Iceland

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
7 day visit to Iceland

HI all

I have only 7 days to tour Iceland please tell me the "must do" list.. Best place for - glacial lakes - icebergs - lava flows - puffins - thermal pools and waterfalls.

Also are you better off doing a day flying tour to Lake Myvatn instead of driving. Am very interested in info on the West Fjords.

Thanking You

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day visit to Iceland

My husband and I just drove the entire Ring Road in 5 days. We were very busy but saw a LOT so if you tack on two more days, it'll be even better for you. The West Fjords were not on our itinerary but we'll go back one day and see that. =)

Iceland
Level Contributor
123 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day visit to Iceland

Hi traco,

There are so many things to do and see. Here are some suggestions based on your "wish list":

Glacial lakes and icebergs: There is only one: The Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon. More info at …hornafjordur.is/ferdathjonusta/…

Lava flows: Just take your pick! The road from Keflavik International Airport to Reykjavik lies on one, for an example. The largest lava field created in a single eruption since history began is near Kirkjubaejarklaustur village. If you are looking for a 'live' one, then sorry, no eruption is taking place right now.

Puffins: Perhaps take the Puffin Tour from Reykjavik Harbor?

Thermal Pools: Georthermal pools are in every town. Several in Reykjavik. Bring your swimsuit and towel and just ask the next person where the next pool is.

Waterfalls: Again, take your pick. My favorites: Skogarfoss, Seljalandsfoss, Hjálparfoss, Goðafoss, Háifoss, Dettifoss. Hraunfossar. Google them to find more info.

If you like the West fjords then this site can give you good info: http://www.westfjords.is/

You might find some useful information and travel ideas on this blog: http://icelandtravelinfo.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your travel plans!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day visit to Iceland

We saw puffin at Dyrhólaey near Vik. If you drive the ring road This is pretty much on the way. Stay in Vik and you will hit Dyrhólaey in the evening when the Puffin should be on the cliffs. Below is our itinerary. We rented our car from rentcariceland.is It was cheap and you get a discount for booking online. They deliver and pickup the car wherever you need it. Plus it comes with a GPS. The drive from Hofn to Myvatn was one of my favorite parts of the trip. The landscape changes about twice an hour.

Reykevik:

8:55 Arrive

Blue Lagoon

Horseback riding

Zoo,

Church Tower

Grocery Store

Spend the night in Reykevik

Day 2 (July 2)

Drive from Reykivik to Vik

Geyser

Gullfoss (Waterfall)

Siljalandfoss (Walk behind Waterfall)

Dyrhólaey (Black beaches and Puffin)

Spend the night in Vik

Day 3

Eldhraun Lava Field

Svartifoss (Black Cathedral Waterfall)

Skaftafel National Park

Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon

Glacier 

Spend the night in Høfn

Day 4

Drive to Myvatn

Hverir (sulfate field, mud pots)

Whale Watching in Husavik

Day 5-6 (July 6)

Mývatn: Volcanic Area, crazy landscape. 

Grójtagjá cave

Dimmunogir

Godafoss Waterfall

Drive back to Reykevik on the west side (6 hours)

Spend the night in Reykevik.

Day 7

Hang out in Reykevik

Fly home at 11:50AM.

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
255 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day visit to Iceland

We had 7 days and initially planned to do the entire ring road but when we were there we decided we would just be driving loads.

We did

Day 1. Reykjavik

Day 2. Pingvellir, gullfoss, geysir

Day 3. Dyrolaney (loads of puffins here, no need for boat trip elsewhere), vik, black sand beaches, there were also 2 big waterfalls just off the road - selfoss and can't remember other name

Day 4. Hiking in skaftafell national park - waterfall and glaciers.

Day 5. Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon. Hveragerdi (not far from Reykjavik - there is a 6km return walk up into a thermal valley with a hot river and also lots of bubbling pools etc near town.

Day 6. Snaefellsness peninsula

Day 7. Blue lagoon

We had planned to go up to myvatn and husavik for whale watching but when we got to jokulsarlon we decided we didn't have time. We probably could have managed but would have had a really long drive back to Reykjavik on the last day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day visit to Iceland

Mrs T and I just returned from a 10 day trip. The absolute highlights were both in the north - Krafla is a very active volcanic area with steaming recent lava, fissures and all sorts of cool stuff. And we stayed in Husavik where we went whale watching. We were v lucky and saw 6 humpbacks including one breaching, and others close enough to the boat to touch, and dolphins as well. For reference we drove from Husavik to Reykjavik in about 7 hours with a couple of stops.

We did the west fjords in a motorhome which was excellent. Its an older landscape so not active, but very spectacular especially the drives over the mountains. Snaefellness peninsula is also beautiful, and theres a lovely village called Arnastapi on the south coast with a lovely walk to Hellma (?) along the coast, with black sand beaches, amazing blowholes and basalt columns. We did the walk quite early and met a charming arctic fox on the way who was completely unfazed by our presence.

Further round the peninsula is a beautiful beach at Dritvik with the shiniest tiny round black pebbles everywhere that is worth stopping for a few hours at. A little further round is a dead sperm whale on the beach which is spectacular to see with a smell to match!

Edited: 25 July 2012, 19:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day visit to Iceland

Oh, and I thought Geysir was massively over exploited and Krafla and the surrounds were far better though obviously it doesnt have a geysir, but the howling steam vents made up for it. Gulfoss was OK but we saw a more spectacular waterfall in my opinion in the west fjords - cant remember the name but you wont miss it if you are out that way.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day visit to Iceland

Thanks for all your tips...

8. Re: 7 day visit to Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 10:15