We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I left anything out?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
Have I left anything out?

I have spent my day researching tours and emailing companies. I have a rough itinerary planned out -I'm waiting to hear back from tour companies before finalising it.

These are the things I will definitely be doing during my week in Iceland:

-Northern Lights tours

-Golden Circle

-Horse riding

-Dog sledding

-Blue Lagoon

-Glacier hike

-Ice climbing

-Caving

-Snow mobiling

-Jökulsárlón lagoon

-Exploring Reykjavik city

Can anyone recommend anything else that I definitely shouldn't miss doing or seeing during my stay?

Many thanks.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I left anything out?

Posting an itnerary will help get you more feedback.

Iceland
Level Contributor
123 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I left anything out?

Hi Feisty801,

Wow, will you have time too sleep? :-)

A week in Iceland is not nearly enough to see everything. Here are some additional suggestions (i urge you to google them all):

-Stórurð (Storurd): A fabulous place where huge boulders have been left on a valley floor by a glacier. Not hard to reach (5 hours trek back and forth) but not visited by many. Google it!

-Askja caldera: One of the places where you feel closer to the creator of the universe.

-Þórsmörk (Thorsmork): Reachable only by 'super jeeps' or bus but a hiker's heaven once you're there.

-Fimmvörðuháls (Fimmvorduhals): The site of a small volcanic eruption that proved to be only the prelude to the infamous Eyjafjallajokull eruption a few years back. The trail from Þórsmörk is more fun.

- Þjórsárdalur (Thjorsardalur): A valley near Hekla volcano with very varied landscape. Was devastated by a huge eruption in Hekla in the year 1104.

-Kjölur: Drive right over Iceland highlands on the Kjölur road.

- Geothermal pools: Visit a local geothermal pool (every village and town has at least one) and get energized by the mineral rich geothermal hot water.

I can go on and on but I let this suffice. Have a nice trip!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I left anything out?

Hiya Kyle,

Ok. I didn't post an itinerary because it is very rough at the moment. I will do my best to provide a brief one.

Thurs 7/2 -I arrive around 3:30pm. Will do a NL tour that evening.

Fri 8/2- Glacier hike?

Sat 9/2- Morning horse ride? Afternoon exploring Reykjavik

Sun 10/2 - Ice Climbing?

Mon 11/2 -Half day visit to Blue Lagoon? Afternoon exploring Reykjavik

Tues 12/2- Eskimos tour?

Wed 13/2- Eskimos tour?

Thurs 14/2- Flight back to UK around 8:00am

I want to do Ice Climbing and Glacier hiking on two separate days with Icelandic Mountain Guides. Both these tours take the entire day. I can do the Glacier hike on any day but can only do the Ice climbing on Fri, Sat or Sunday. I will probably end up doing it on Sunday.

I have emailed Eskimos Iceland and asked them to devise an itinerary for me that includes Snow mobiling, Jökulsárlón lagoon, Caving, Golden Circle and Dog sledding. I don't want to rush through anything so I'd be happy to spread my requests out over two trips on two different days. I'm still waiting back to here from Eskimos. Depending on the price they quote, I will decide whether or not I will book all those trips with them or whether I will book the trips (eg. Golden circle) with separate companies. I was initially going to book everything with separate companies but perhaps it's cheaper to just book with one company? I guess I will find out soon enough.

I want to do the horse riding with Islenski Hesturinn. That will be a few hours one morning.

I plan to take the bus to the Blue Lagoon myself and stay there as long as I'd like, before taking another bus back to Reykjavik.

This is only a very rough itinerary. I have no idea what order to do things in. Once I hear back from Eskimos Iceland, I'll have a better idea of what I will be doing.

I know my days are going to be pretty full, but I'm fine with that -I want to see and do as much as possible.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I left anything out?

Hiya Travelling_Viking,

Wow, thanks very much for your response, that's exactly what I was after!

I will research everything you mentioned.

I love beautiful / amazing scenery -so appreciate all your suggestions.

Thanks again :o)

Oh, and I plan to sleep when I get back to the UK :o)

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have I left anything out?

**forgot to mention that I plan on doing a NL tour every evening I'm in Iceland -not just the first night!**

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have I left anything out?

I think it's fine to plan your itinerary around activities. Each will take you to a different place, so you'll see plenty. Personally, I'd skip the Blue Lagoon and use that day for something else, e.g. Reykjanes or Landmannalaugur. Have fun!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Have I left anything out?

I will check out those places you mentioned Melissa, thanks, but I couldn't possibly leave out the Blue Lagoon -it's something I've been wanting to see for a very long time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have I left anything out?

Eskimos do a trip that does glacier hiking and ice climbing together, this may free up some time? I'm planning a trip too and am looking at snorkelling in the rift between tectonic plates which looks amazing and something you can't do anywhere else. You can combine this with other activities e.g caving or golden circle.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Have I left anything out?

Hiya Lilystars,

I just had a look at that Snorkelling tour you mentioned. I did notice it earlier when I was looking at the Eskimos tours but I dismissed it pretty quickly when I read the work "Diving". I just don't dive! But I didn't realise you could just snorkel -that would be pretty cool. I know nothing about the safety of the water though -I think I would be paranoid about sharks (I'm an Aussie and have always been scared of swimming in the sea because of all the sharks we have back home!).

Yes, I did notice that Eskimos does the glacier hike + climb together. I don't know how in depth it is though as their website doesn't give much information. I don't like it when things are rushed and I worry that a two in one tour will be rushed. Plus I've heard really good things about Icelandic Mountain Guides -that's why I was leaning towards going with them.

I will see what Eskimos come up with and take it from there. That snorkelling does sound fab though -I shall investigate some more! :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have I left anything out?

I too was nervous about the diving but the snorkelling does look awesome. It's not at sea - it looks like a river I think - and I don't think there's any fish at all so definitely no sharks! The water is filtered through a glacier and so is apparently some of the clearest water ever giving axing visibility. It's supposed to be the number 3 dive site in the world. Good luck with choosing the tours! It looks like there's so many great things to do.