We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Circle Tours

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Circle Tours

Hi there

My wife and I are staying in Reykjavik for 3 nights next February, and are very keen to do the Golden Circle Tour during our stay.

After studying several tour company websites I have noticed that they almost every one of them do this tour, but prices vary (quite considerably in some cases)

I was wondering if all the companies do exactly the same tour, or is it a case of 'you get what you pay for'?? (i.e. a more extensive tour when you go with the more expensive companies)

Hope somebody can shed some light on this for me

many thanks

Steve

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Circle Tours

bus tours cannot go to all the exact same places. They also have more people on them. Super jeep tours tend to be a bit more flexible. the best thing I can recommend is to read the reviews of the different tour groups. they will mention what happened on the persons tours and the places visited.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Circle Tours

The cost of the tour is largely driven by the number of people on it. Bigger group = lower price. Another factor is the vehicle - buses are cheaper than Super Jeeps. The main sights of the Golden Circle are the same: Geysir, Gullfoss and Thingvellir.

With a smaller group, you usually get more time at each place and your schedule is more flexible. With a Super Jeep, you get some 4WD fun, going places a bus can't go.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
819 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Circle Tours

Hi barrow in furness,

We are going next Friday and decided on a Superjeep combo tour of the Golden Circle & snowmobiling with Reykjavik Excursions. I can answer any questions once we are back but so far, I have found RE to be extremely professional, answering emails promptly etc etc

Let me know any more info :-)

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Circle Tours

sorry for the delay in replying, I've been too busy organising another trip for october next year!!....don't suppose any of you are experts on Washington DC as well, are you?? :o)

Thanks for your comments, I think I have a better understanding of the price variation now..

...and thanks for your messages also, looking forward to hearing about your trips, and receiving a few good tips too...!!

Steve

Edited: 24 September 2012, 09:10
Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Circle Tours

We have just returned from a Golden Circle trip with Gateway To Iceland and it was very good, in fact my husband and I were the only ones on the tour and they still went ahead with it. We were fortunate to have a beautiful day and the sights were amazing. I dont know if they ever use a large bus but both tours we have done with them have been on a mini bus which is a bit more personal and the cost was comparative to the large bus tours You should certainly consider them for a tour.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Circle Tours

We used GTI also and had a great day. We too were in a minibus (I think that is their normal vehicle) and were glad not to be in one of the big tour buses but that is just personal choice as it was easier for taking photos etc and for hearing the guide etc.

7. Re: Golden Circle Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:15