We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Iceland in December

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in Iceland in December

I'm traveling to Iceland for the first time the first week of December and would love ANY advice on what to wear coats, boots, etc? I live in Louisiana so any tips on how to keep warm are much appreciated. :)

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

This has been discussed hundreds of times here on the forum, use the ,,search" above, and you´ll see the answers.

But the keyword is Layers, many warm layers, (non cotton) and a waterproof outer layer.

For hiking, waterproof shoes (GoreTex are the only one I recommend).

For ,,in town, warm casual shoes and clothes.

Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

Thank you so much for your help!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

ive bought some thermal north face trousers which are really comfy.

Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

Thank you. I will definitely look into this!!. :)

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

We just came back from Iceland, and for part of the trip experienced gale force winds. With the following clothes we felt fine, even out at 1 in the morning to see the aurora. Helly Hansen base layer, craghoppers long-sleeved T and lined trousers, woolly jumper, North Face Nuptse jacket and a Berghaus windproof shell. Oh and beanie hat & gloves obviously.

My wife had a North face coat which also kept her legs warm and she rhapsodised about it frequently.

Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

Thank you so much. This info is super helpful!

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

Just got back from Iceland. As someone has said in a reply, do wear layers. Layering helps keep you warm, don't wear cotton layers. Be prepared for wind and rain. Outer layer waterproof. Make sure you take gloves and a hat. The wind can be very strong. Good waterproof boots. I took a pair of fleece lined pants and they worked great with one layer underneath the pants. WOOL socks. We got into some wet, ugly weather but we never got cold, as we dressed in layers and we are used to the cold weather.

Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

Great advice. Thank you very much.

9. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 18:35
Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in Iceland in December

Thank you for the advice about not bringing an umbrella. I was wondering about it... Thanks again.