We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
buel10
Level Contributor
373 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

Hi,

Last night my girlfriend and I were lucky enough to see lots of people all singing, what I guess is, Iceland's version of 'Silent night' on the square where the Mayor had given a speech.

It was absolutely wonderful and very emotional.

Please can someone tell me is this an annual event and might it be happening again over Christmas?

Thank you.

PS- Why did the Mayor mention Lady Ga Ga?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

Lady Gaga received peace award from Yoko Ono in Reykjavik earlier this year and that's where Jon Gnarr (the Mayor) met Lady Gaga. Naturally he was dressed as a Jedi...

icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/Y…

http://9gag.com/gag/5571834

buel10
Level Contributor
373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

WOW!!!

That is impressive and very very funny!

I have to ask- Why was he dressed as Jedi?? :0)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

Oh so you have never heard of Jon Gnarr? Then you're in for a treat. He thrives on being different. He was a comedian and actor and in 2009 he formed The Best Party with a number of people with little or no previous political background The Best Party is a satirical political party that parodies Icelandic politics and aims to make the life of the citizens more fun. It turned out that people were in need of a change since the 2008 economic collapse, which had revealed that many of the politicians were rotten and corrupt (or so the people felt). The party managed a plurality in the 2010 municipal elections in Reykjavík and Jon Gnarr was appointed mayor.

This is without a doubt the most unusual mayor you'll find in the world. If you know of a stranger one, please let me know. You ask why he was dressed as a Jedi - well... given his history, why wouldn't he be dressed as a Jedi? He has appeared in full drag during the Gay Pride Parade (he's not gay), made several video blogs to the citizens - wearing a gorilla mask, a holiday greeting with a Darth Vader mask AND a Santa Claus Cap - dv.is/frettir/…

A wikipedia article on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3n_Gnarr

buel10
Level Contributor
373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

Thank you very much indeed!! That is extremely funny and also brilliant!!

What a man he is!!

Why oh why can't mayors like him be elected in the UK? I mean, there are a few clowns....but not deliberate clowns, if you see what I mean!

Thank you again!!

PS- Please can I ask about the crowd of people singing 'Silent Night'? A usual event or a one off?

buel10
Level Contributor
373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

So can anyone tell me if this was a one off (where the whole square was singing a song to the tune of 'Silent night')?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

Sorry, forgot to get back to you sooner. Each year on the 23rd, for the last 30+ years, there has been an organized "Peace Walk" down Laugarvegur shopping street to Ingólfstorg square where there are speeches and music. I'm quite sure this is the event you are referring to so, yes. This is an yearly event.

PS. some more facts about the mayor: twistedsifter.com/2012/…

7. Re: People singing on Square after Mayor's speech?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:15