We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent advice Needed-money

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent advice Needed-money

Hi! me and a few friends will be travelling to Reykjavik tomorrow afternoon. Our flight lands at 16:50. We know that the exchange rate is better in Iceland, but by the time we get back into the town centre- most of the banks will be closed. Is there any other exchange bureau which is reliable?

On our second day, we will be travelling on the golden circle tour at 8am and the trip will last for 9 hours. (hence will miss the bank again!)

many thanks.

ecosse
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

We didn't get any Icelandic K, and it was no problem at all. You can use credit cards for everything. Even for the local buses, we bought a day card from the tourist office, using cc.

ecosse
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

having said that, if for your own reasons you want to use money, I believe the currency exchange in arrivals at Keflavik airport is reasonable.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

There is a bank branch at the airport but it closes at 17:00 …landsbankinn.com/branch-network/…

Then of course there are ATM's that you can use to withdraw some cash.

Banks and ATM's are the only places where you can get currency.

Cork
Level Contributor
41 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

Cards are accepted for even the smallest of transactions! The only place I believe you would absolutely need cash is on the city buses, and even then you can buy tickets in advance from shops.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

I used my credit card for a cup of coffee out of the machine in a tourist office!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

Yeahh, and probably paid almost double for it, when everything is considered ! Rate, exchange fee, and other cost of using Cc.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

Depends on your card provider. Mine gives the standard international rate and makes NO charges (except for cash withdrawels).

The rate is better than any bureaux de change or bank anywhere.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

Ok. how many kronur for one Euro ?

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

Cannot answer that as it is a British credit card.

All I can tell you is that when I recieve my statements after any foreign travel, the exchange is similar to trade buying / selling rates. When I compare the rate I paid against someone like Travelex (who are generally amongst the best in the UK) it is always significantly better.

For those that might be interested - it is a Halifax card. I used to use Natwest but as icelandicguide above has pointed out, they adjust the exchange rate down to pay for it like most credit card providers do.

10. Re: Urgent advice Needed-money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 11:35