We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car rental

We would, I think, like to rent a car for one day and see as much as we can. Think this is a more efficient way compared to an organized tour? Can we rent a car for one day in Reykajavik? Also while I am not concerned about driving (late May) I read ominous reports that the rental companies charge a lot and look unreasonably for damage and charge excessively.Does anybody have first hand experience/advice?

Iceland
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Yes, you can rent a car for one day ... many car rentals in Reykjavik offering such service ... but maybe better for you to have guided scheduled tour ... cost less and you will most likely enjoy it more.

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Avoid Hertz at all cost. charged $560 USD, for two tiny scratches that could fit under a coin. Knew we were stuck, as had flight home to US, or I would have refused to pay them.

Be warned!!!

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

On my own personal experience from 10 days ago when I hired a car for 5 days through budget international, this was pre-arranged before I arrived at Keflavik airport, the prices were reasonable and when I arrived at the airport even after a delay my car was waiting! We opted for the Hyundai i10 as it is cheap on fuel and a nice drive, we also spent around 4500 ISK on a Sat Nav which helped us easily get round the golden circle, drive down to Skõgafoss on the south coast aswell as visiting blue lagoon :) if you would rather your own company & want to visit places at your own pace then rent a car, if you want to be stuck on a coach with roughly 20 others while not getting long to see each place then get on a coach with Greyline Excursions :) hope this helps!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

Thanks look I have no doubt about the benefits of renting. I have done it all over the world. For some reason I get the sense through various articles that you can be taken advantage of by the Cos. in Iceland. Big unreasonable charges for minor problems and that insurance ca't be porchased to cover

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

Hi...

We hired a car last sunday for the day. We went to the Sixt office by the marina.Staff were really helpful.Approx cost in @£75 euro for the day + we chose to pay another @£10euros for excess cover, we also got a satnav for @9 euros. We got a small Chevrolet which was perfectly adequate for driving around the Golden Circle etc.SatNav was just incase but we did use it in and out of Reykjavic which is quite a sprawl and surprisingly busy at rush hour.Once of of the suburbs you won't need it.

The cost of the car was actually cheaper than the golden tour for 2.The roads are great.

Trevor

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

Trevor did the excess coverage cover all expenses..was there still a deductible that you would have to pay the first $500...or whatever?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

Sorry Jack, I should have made that clearer. From memory the excess 'insurance' meant that the maximum you could be hit with in the event of an accident was @Euro250 as opposed to the 1500 EURO maximum without it. 250 sounded reasonable in the event of a bump and was worth the 9euros in my opinion.They may do an even lower maximum or zero with a higher tarrif.They're quite helpful and open if you deal with them.

One thing that I didn't mention is that they retain a deposit of @£250 for 30 days to cover unpaid speeding/parking fines.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

Wow thanks so much..I have never heard of a 30 day hold and $400 (approx.) is still a significant minimum. It really does suggest they can be quite cavalier in with their levy or assessment. Thanks for taking the time

Southern New Jersey
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental

If you are able to decline the rental car company's CDW insurance and use a credit card that provides car rental insurance, then the deductible can be zero. I believe most Visa cards cover just about everything.

A number of companies in Iceland (e.g., Kemwel), now appear to allow customers to decline to purchase CDW, perhaps because the market in Iceland is becoming more competitive as the number of tourists increases. At least that's how Kemwel's online contract reads.

As an attorney, I'd prefer to have my credit card company on my side if the rental company tries to charge a excessive deductible for an inconsequential scratch. Otherwise you're pretty much on your own.

I know that there's been a lot of discussion on TA in the past about this issue. And I've read much of it. Net-net, I'm simply not persuaded by those who claim that purchasing CDW or Excess (w/ reduced deductible only) from the rental company is the best way to go, unless, of course, the rental company requires it, which is tying of a sort. Or unless someone wants to pay a substantial amount for something that is otherwise free.

Hexham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental

I don't so much mind the CDW charge, as the fact that even if you buy it you still aren't fully covered.

I land in Iceland tomorrow and have booked a car with Budget which includes CDW, with super CDW which offers further cover as an optional extra. I won't buy that but have bought a separate car rental excess policy here in UK for just £13 which gives up to £5000 cover and includes tyres, glass and underbody, which I gather are a big risk in Iceland. Ideally I won't need to use the cover, but for peace of mind I don't mind paying out £13 for six days.