We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

Hey All,

I'm hoping you can offer me some advice. Due to time restraint the only time I can visit Iceland is from 25th October for a few days. After googling the weather for Iceland around that time, it suggested that October is the rainiest month! I'm very undecided......is it worthwhile doing?

Also, I'm backpacking throughout Europe in summer and dont plan on carrying around winter gear just for Iceland!! Is t possible to rent 'winter clothes' like puffy coat and waterproof pants for example?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

36 replies to this topic
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

October isn´t rainier than many other month, weather statistic really do not tell the whole story. Weather is very unstable, and I´ve taken long ,,phototours" around the country every October, and have not found rain to be a problem.

You do not need ,,puffy coats" and such, but thermal layer would be advised in your suitcase, and besides that your normal ,,traveling gear".

You can buy a thin rain gear for about 100 Dollars, and throw it away after the tour if it never rains in Melbourne.

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

We went from the beginning of October until October 19. The weather can be very unpredictable. Fortunately for us, it was amazingly beautiful, it barely rained a day, and if it did rain, it was not for very long with the exception of two days. They had a huge blizzard two weeks prior to our arrival, and all snow on the ground was gone by the time we arrived. About 2 weeks after left, I believe they had another huge snowfall. You just can never tell!

Plan your vacation around the things that you want to see, not the weather. They have a saying in Iceland, "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes, because it will change." So true! One day we had sunshine, rain, hail, snow, then sunshine again all in the same day, all in the same park (Thingvellir). The colors at this time of year are nothing short of magnificent.

Just be sure that you are going for the scenery and not the weather. It is Iceland, after all. Such an amazing country!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

mmmm...sounds like Melbourne weather except we dont get snow!!

Thanks for your input....I decided to take the plunge and go!!! I'm very excited! I'm travelling around Europe for 3 months and my criteria was that everywhere I went had to be different! Iceland is like no other in Europe!

Yes I'm going for the scenery first and foremost and IF I can see the Northern Lights....well that would be fantastic!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

Last October we saw the northern lights eight out of thirteen nights we were there, don't let the weather discourage you! The previous poster was correct about the colors of autumn, absolutely breathtaking!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

G'day Andrew I have been to Iceland in June, July, and November, - different years, Snowed in November, with, not as much rain, as I had in June. Being a Melbournite, you would know that rain is only wet and a bit cold, nothing to worry about. Try to do what you would like to do, and not what the weather dictates. It is too far to go, and to not do that. But then you can always go back:-) Have fun

Edited: 04 April 2013, 05:10
Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

I need some advises on car rental. 4 of us are going to Iceland from Oct 25 - 30 too. I am looking for renting a car. We are not planning to go Northern Iceland. Mainly will be the tourist area in Southern Iceland, such as Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle etc.. Do you think we need to rent a 4x4 SUV or just a Toyota Corolla is fine for October's weather. Should I buy the Gravel insurance and rent GPS? We are going to get those 10 years old vehicle because I am so scared of the car break down in the middle of noway.

Can you please give me some sugguestion??

Thanks.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 18:02
Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

Sorry, I mean I am NOT going to rent old car.

Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

No need for a 4wd SUV in Iceland unless you are going to drive in the highlands. A normal sized car is cheaper to rent and run and easier to control if the weather turns sour but that should not be an issue in the south in October. Iceland is fairly easy to navigate in, not so many roads to choose from and the roads around the golden circle and blue lagoon are paved.

Drogheda, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

Hi Andrew.

I have been trying to do a bit of research as I will be in Iceland in Oct as well from the 24th. The weather will be cold but fine to get around. Eating out can be done cheap if you go the correct places. Some very helpful information out there.

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013

Hi we're planning a trip to iceland for 25th October too ! We're thinking of staying for 4 days , is this enough time to pack everything in ? Also where is the best place to see the northern lights ? And how common is it to see them during October ?

Reply to: Travelling to Iceland late October 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted